Sonos Port with pioneer VSX-90

• 10 July 2020
  • 6 replies

I’m hoping someone can give me clarity on how to set up my current system to include Sonos. I had asked Best Buy for guidance but I’m not sure the advice given is accurate. 
Note: I’m not very AV Savy so hopefully I’m clear enough.

My current TV/surround system is a Pioneer VSX-90 which controls main zone: 5 Bose speakers in surround sound and zone 2: 2 more in wall speakers on a screen porch.  I would like to extend that system to stream music to all those speakers plus add more standalone wireless speakers that can be played together as a group or separately. 

Best Buy suggested a Sonos Amp and Sonos Move. So I bought both. The Sonos amp does not connect to the pioneer. My guess is it could replace the pioneer receiver but I don’t want to do that. I have Set up the Move but It is basically a stand alone Sonos speaker.

my question is can the Sonos amp be installed so that it can highjack the pioneer speakers if I want to stream music to multiple zones as a group a even a smaller group (ie: zone 2 & move) Or is the better solution to use Sonos Port? If it’s Port can anyone suggests how to properly set it up so that I can keep the cur5 setup as is and weave in an expandable Sonos streaming system going forward.

thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Hami.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would recommend calling our sales team for a a more thorough discussion and best recommendation on what to get since they have all the information about what’s on sale on our website. Just to share with you, here is the guide for the limitations, features, and functionality of the Sonos Amp, Sonos Port, Sonos Move, Sonos one, and Sonos One SL.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

You’re far better off with a Port, assuming you have a free coaxial or analog input on your Pioneer.  Then you just select that input on your Pioneer to stream from the Sonos system to those speakers.  In the Sonos app, select whatever you want to play, then it should come from the analog speakers attached to the Pioneer. Then if you wish, you can group the Move with the Port to get the same audio in multiple places.

It doesn’t appear to have any stereo pre-outs for the main zone, so unless you want to figure out Zone 2, you can’t distribute anything from the Pioneer receiver to the Move.  You would do this by connecting your Zone2 Pre Outs to the inputs on the Port, then in the Sonos app, select the Move, then browse to the Line-In input.  In this way you could play whatever the Pioneer is receiving, such as radio or a turntable on the Move outside. You’ll have to dive into your manual to learn how to assign something to Zone2, and I highly recommend never to do this with the same source as the Port is going into the receiver on.

Thank you for your help. I have the Sonos Port connecting to my receiver so now, i can stream music from my sonos app to both the stereo and move, which is a great start.  

I’m now considering upgrading my receiver to something newer that is still sonos compatible, so that I can play music to my 5 surround speakers and to zone 2.  But I’m told if a get a receiver that is 9 channel I can send tv Audi (HDMI) to zone 2.  So what I’m wondering is if you might know of a reasonable 9 channel receiver that is sonos compatible and if you happen to know if zone 2 can play tv audio?

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Hami.

Thanks for the update and immediate response.

We do not have any specific recommendations here in Sonos as we want to be fair on both sides. I would recommend reaching out to other members of the community to seek their best advice and judgment as they may have been using the specifics that you are looking for.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Hello, I am looking to use a Sonos Port and hook up to my Pioneer SC1523-K receiver (about a 2005 - 2007 model) and was hoping to use it to make my existing wired Polk Audio 7.1 speaker system wireless.  Will the Sonos Port allow me to make the speaker’s wireless or will it only work with a wireless speaker system?  If I convert the Polk Audio speaker system to wireless will it then work with the Sonos Port?  Basically, I am looking to use my Pioneer Receiver to listen to FM/AM radio and CD and DVD players and possibly stream music with my Samsung Galaxy Note 9 but I would like to use my existing Polk Audio 7.1 speaker system.  I would also like to hear the same audio in different rooms which could be 25 - 60 foot away.  I guess I could purchase wireless speakers for the other rooms but feels a waste of money since I already have wired speakers in those rooms as well.  Can you provide any suggestions or answers?  Thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @AnnAllan.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Allow me to share with you some information to help out as well as ask a question to better understand the preferred setup.

•  I am looking to use a Sonos Port and hook up to my Pioneer SC1523-K receiver (about a 2005 - 2007 model) and was hoping to use it to make my existing wired Polk Audio 7.1 speaker system wireless. Sonos products can only be grouped to other Sonos products using the group and ungroup feature on the Sonos App. How is your Polk audio 7.1 speaker system connects wirelessly?
  • Will the Sonos Port allow me to make the speaker’s wireless or will it only work with a wireless speaker system? The Sonos Port  can use third party music sources such as cd player, turntable, etc that are capable of audio line-out coinnectivity via RCA connection and integrate those third-party music sources into your Sonos ecosystem wirelessly using the Sonos Port.
  •  If I convert the Polk Audio speaker system to wireless will it then work with the Sonos Port? Depends on what devices are you going to use to make them wireless still using the RCA Audio out port of the Sonos Port. The Sonos Port also does not have a built-in Amp to power any speakers directly connected to it via Audio Line-out port.
  •  I would also like to hear the same audio in different rooms which could be 25 - 60 foot away.  I guess I could purchase wireless speakers for the other rooms but feels a waste of money since I already have wired speakers in those rooms as well. Any Audio played on the Sonos Port can be played to other Sonos devices on the same account and household using the group and ungroup feature of the Sonos App.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you still have additional questions or concerns. I’ll be more than happy to help you out.

Thanks,