Sonos Port & AV Receiver Zones

• 2 September 2021
  • 13 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

My original topic was closed and had a follow up question based on Bruce’s recommendation.

I have these specific zones pre-wired:

• Living Room (5.1)
  • Kitchen (pair of speakers)
  • Patio (pair of speakers)
  • Master Bath (pair of speakers)

With these specific areas I would need:

1x Port for living room

3x Sonos Amps

Is this correct?

13 replies

Userlevel 7

How many speakers are you installing for the kitchen, patio, and bath? Do you want each of these rooms to act as a separate zone?

Badge +2

How many speakers are you installing for the kitchen, patio, and bath? Do you want each of these rooms to act as a separate zone?

Yes I would like each to be a separate zone. Kitchen, patio and bath will be a pair of speakers for each. 

I’m wondering if it would be possible to use a 7.1 receiver with 1x Sonos Port for living room 5.1 on Zone A and then Kitchen on Zone B. That way I can watch tv on the main zone and stream music on the second zone through Sonos port Or use the Sonos port on main zone and second zone at the same time. 

if this is possible then that would be one less Sonos amp to purchase?

Userlevel 7

If you wired your 5.1 system and pair of kitchen speakers to the 7.1 receiver, will the receiver allow you to control those two channels in the kitchen separately? If so, then it could work. But if not, the best option would be to get a Port for your living room setup and three Amps - one for the kitchen, one for the patio, and one for the bathroom.

Badge +2

I’m researching receivers now and it seems that if the receiver has to have a powered zone 2

I’m researching receivers now and it seems that if the receiver has to have a powered zone 2

I wouldn’t try and squeeze an extra zone into your system by mixing a multizone receiver with Sonos zones.  It’s going to be a more complicated setup that isn’t as easily controlled and enjoyed.  If budget is a concern, than I might look into using Sonos speakers instead of amp+ceiling speakers in some locations.  You can always put in speaker wire to switch things up at a later date when budget allows.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

if you have a receiver that can power two zones, like said above, is there any drawback in having two sonos ports? one serving the main 5.1 living area and a second serving a pair of speakers in another room? two ports is certainly cheaper than a port and an amp. 

if you have a receiver that can power two zones, like said above, is there any drawback in having two sonos ports? one serving the main 5.1 living area and a second serving a pair of speakers in another room? two ports is certainly cheaper than a port and an amp. 

But they do different things, so it depends on what is required.  If the other pair of speakers are active (amplified) speakers or have a conventional amplifier  they require a second Port to run them as a separate ‘room.  If they are just passive speakers playing a separate stream they require an Amp.

If the same stream is to play on both zones from the existing receiver, then just a single Port is needed.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

all speakers would be hooked up to the receiver, so they’re all passive. can two ports suffice in that case? 

the overall question is intended to ask if the receiver zones can effectively act as the amp while the port is the device pushing and syncing music between them.

all speakers would be hooked up to the receiver, so they’re all passive. can two ports suffice in that case? 

the overall question is intended to ask if the receiver zones can effectively act as the amp while the port is the device pushing and syncing music between them.

That doesn’t make much sense to me I’m afraid.  If the receiver is capable of playing speakers in two ‘zones’, but they are playing a single stream, and that is what you want, then all you need is one Port.

If the receiver can play different streams from two different input sources, then you need two Ports if you want to play those streams from Sonos.

If the receiver can only play one stream and you want to play different music for the two sets of speakers, then you could just use the Port and receiver for one room, and get an Amp to run the passive speakers in the other room.

I think it really depends on the receiver in question, whether it can do that well, and whether or not your comfortable with that level of control.  Part of the advantage of using Sonos is the ability to use the Sonos app/voice control to change sources, volume, etc.  If your relying on a receiver for two zones as you suggestion, you will likely need to have volume, possibly input control, done through the receiver.  It makes it more complicated.

So I would personally rather just pay the extra for a Port and Amp rather than 2 ports.

Badge +2

@melvimbe i finally set this up and I’ve ran into issues as you stated above. 

1x Port connected to S760H

• Main Zone - Living Room
  • Zone 2 - Patio

1x Amp Kitchen (pair of speakers)

1x Amp Master Bath (pair of speakers)

The Issue I have is when I play music from Sonos to Zone 2 the volume is really really low. With the line out level set to Variable.  If I change line level to pass-through then I the Zone 2 Volume sounds good.  The downside is I have to control volume directly from the receiver and lose volume control via Sonos.

Due to this I think this is the reason you suggested having patio on its own amp and not part of zone 2 of receiver is this right?  There wouldn’t be a way to get the zone 2 volume correct without using an amp?

Hello all! I just moved into a house with 5 architectural ceiling-mounted Sonos speakers on Main Level and 3 Sonos speakers in the basement.

I’d like to have 2 zones: Main Level and Basement. And the 5 speakers in the kitchen/dining room is overkill and I could likely be fine using 3. 

With 3 to 5 speakers on Main and 3 in Basement, split into 2 zones, what is the most cost-effective solution for an amp(s) and ports? Both zones are controlled by separate iPads.

I’d appreciate any and all ideas to get these speakers working! johnpatrickmontague(at)gmail.com

Badge +2

Hello all! I just moved into a house with 5 architectural ceiling-mounted Sonos speakers on Main Level and 3 Sonos speakers in the basement.

I’d like to have 2 zones: Main Level and Basement. And the 5 speakers in the kitchen/dining room is overkill and I could likely be fine using 3. 

With 3 to 5 speakers on Main and 3 in Basement, split into 2 zones, what is the most cost-effective solution for an amp(s) and ports? Both zones are controlled by separate iPads.

I’d appreciate any and all ideas to get these speakers working! johnpatrickmontague(at)gmail.com

Sounds like 2 Sonos amps would be all you need.

Zone 1: kitchen/ dining room

Zone 2: basement

or 

Do 3 zones requiring 3x Sonos amps

Zone 1: kitchen

Zone 2: dining room

Zone 3: basement