Question

Sonos Playbar with Sony X930D 55" Television and Dolby Digital 5.1

• 25 January 2017
  • 5 replies

Will the Sonos Playbar support Dolby 5.1 with my new Sony X930D 55" television? I see some people say it will not but also that Sony released a firmware to allow Dolby 5.1 pass through via optical out. Would that give me 5.1 through the Playbar? I will be connecting only a Fire TV and PS4 to the television. My primary television watching is done through Netflix, Sling TV, Playstation Vue, and Kodi. I will not be hooking up a blu-ray player so no DTS shouldn't be an issue. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Yes it will pass through DD5.1.
Any particular settings that I would need to alter in order to ensure the playbar doesn't revert to 2.0 stereo? Thanks again!
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Can't remember off the top of my head, and I'm not at my TV to check right now. But it's straight forward enough. In Sound Settings there's an option you choose Stereo (PCM), Auto1 or Auto2 if I remember correctly. Choose either Auto1 or 2 (both work ok).
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi, I may be able to help with your question as I've got a Sony KD-55XD9305 hooked up to my Soundbar & Sub and it's working brilliantly.

I've got all my sources connected to the TV by HDMI and the TV to the Soundbar via Optical.

The settings on my TV are as follows:

Press HOME
> Navigate Down to 'Settings'
>>Sound
>>>Speakers - Select 'Audio System'
>>>Headphones/Audio Out - Select 'Audio Out (Variable)'
>>>Digital Audio Out - Select 'Auto 1'
That should be all you need to do as long as your sources are outputting DD 5.1.

The new Netflix 4K content plays brilliantly with DD 5.1 output as standard.

Most Sony TV's in recent years have been able to pass DD 5.1 through the Optical Out, they're one of the few who do!

Hope this helps
Opsman said everything that needs to be said. I have the XD93 with Paybar, sub and 2 play 1's and 5.1 output is immense! Settings exactly as above. Output will switch automatically between stereo and Dolby 5.1. Enjoy!