sonos play bar with 2 x play ones

• 13 January 2022
  • 2 replies

hi everyone

over Christmas I manages to get a playbar and two play 1s for under £500. when I got them home [I couldn't get the surround sound to work with my tv 40” Samsung (old) it dod have an optical out but would not sent the rear speakers (2 play 1’s) individual channel output. 

Can someone reccomentd a deep tv I cn pick up second hand on Ebay. 

Also is there a way to hook up a cheep sub to the above. 

thanks 

B

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

hi everyone

over Christmas I manages to get a playbar and two play 1s for under £500. when I got them home [I couldn't get the surround sound to work with my tv 40” Samsung (old) it dod have an optical out but would not sent the rear speakers (2 play 1’s) individual channel output. 

thanks 

B

When you stream music to the Playbar do you also hear it from the surrounds? (You should do 😜)

I assume you’ve set the tv to send audio to the Playbar?

You also need to be watching content being broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1. Even on the UK’s terrestrial HD channels, a lot is still only sent in stereo 2.0 format, so there is nothing to send to the surround speakers and therefore nothing for you to hear. Check the program being broadcast is a DD 5.1 one and check for surrounds sound. 

Userlevel 7

Follow the instructions in this article to add the Play:1s as surrounds to the Playbar:
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927?language=en_US

If your Samsung TV is really old, there is a possibility that it cannot play 5.1 audio to the Playbar resulting in limited audio from the surround speakers. What specific model Samsung TV do you have? Are you using any external media devices like a cable box, Blu-ray player, or media streamer?

The only subwoofer you can use with the Playbar is the Sonos Sub. If you want to save money, look for a used one on eBay. If you are using the Sonos S1 app, look for a Gen 1 or Gen 2 Sub. If you are using the S2 app, you can use any generation of the Sub.