Sonos Play 5 Gen 2

• 23 July 2020
  • 7 replies

New to the forum and have been unable what I am looking for. I know the answers will be subjective but I am asking for your opinion on the matter. 

Most of what I have read clearly states The Play 5 Gen 2 is far above the Play 5 Gen 1. How would two Play 5 Gen 1 stack up to a single Play 5 Gen 2? Cost is obviously a factor here which is why I am asking. I can pick up two Play 5 Gen 1 for less than a single Play 5 Gen 2. Is it overkill for my living room condo? Currently I am using a Beam and two Sonos one for primarily tv/movies but when I switch to music it doesn’t quite give me the “punch” I want. 

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Kimeilif.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thank you for reaching out to us about your concern.

I would like to recommend calling our sales team directly as they may have the most appropriate answer to your inquiry.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

The problem is that there isn’t a single correct answer. There are just too many variables, the kind of music being played, the volume being used, the ears in use, the preference of the brain as to whether stereo or mono sources are best, room being used, the depth of the wallet, etc. It would be easy to tell you what would be correct for me and my situation, but that may not apply to you. 

I would love to hear your opinion and what you would like. 

I’m a bigger fan of a stereo sound stage, so I would go with a pair of PLAY:5s gen 1, and have them properly spaced and oriented for a proper spatial set up.

Then again, it’s hard to go wrong with the single PLAY: 5 gen 2, I’ve got several of those.

And if money were a concern, I would be tempted instead to go with a pair of Sonos Ones, supported by a Sub. They do sound incredible. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Bald opinion, YourMileageMayVary:

If you listen to classical music or prog-rock, go for the Play5 Gen2 .  To my mind, improved stereo image of 2 Gen1’s is not enough to make up for their frequency response shortcomings: Cymbals don’t shimmer, guitar plucks sound like thuds.  TruePlay cannot really fix this, although it will fix the weird midrange bump originally present.  If you listen to techno or rap, definitely try the pair of Gen1’s -- total overall loudness will be greater; this is especially appropriate since you said you were missing “punch”.  (To a minor extent also two positions in the room will help even out the bass.)

But: If you think there’s any possibility of affording a second Play5 Gen2 someday soon(-ish), get the Gen2 regardless of your music.  Aside from ongoing app compatibility, it really is a better engineering and manufacturing result than the Gen1, which is reflected in its sound.

[Edit: @Airgetlam might be right: Try simply adding a Sub to your current setup?  The downside is that the Sub cannot ever give you a second zone, whereas you could decide to move the Play5(s) to another room.  A possible down/upside is that “punch” you desire might not be the frequency range the Sub covers.  Or it might be *exactly* what you need!  Buy somewhere with a return policy, and try it out.  (Not sure about used prices for older Sub Gen2 these days.)]

I’m a bigger fan of a stereo sound stage, so I would go with a pair of PLAY:5s gen 1, and have them properly spaced and oriented for a proper spatial set up.

Then again, it’s hard to go wrong with the single PLAY: 5 gen 2, I’ve got several of those.

And if money were a concern, I would be tempted instead to go with a pair of Sonos Ones, supported by a Sub. They do sound incredible. 

I definitely want to look at a sub at sometime. It is high on my list but a bit out of my reach right now. I truly appreciate you sharing your opinion. I can get a pair of Play 5 Gen 1 for about $300 from my brother which is kind of how this question started. There has been so many positives written and said that I wanted to hear some opinions between the two. 

Bald opinion, YourMileageMayVary:

If you listen to classical music or prog-rock, go for the Play5 Gen2 .  To my mind, improved stereo image of 2 Gen1’s is not enough to make up for their frequency response shortcomings: Cymbals don’t shimmer, guitar plucks sound like thuds.  TruePlay cannot really fix this, although it will fix the weird midrange bump originally present.  If you listen to techno or rap, definitely try the pair of Gen1’s -- total overall loudness will be greater; this is especially appropriate since you said you were missing “punch”.  (To a minor extent also two positions in the room will help even out the bass.)

But: If you think there’s any possibility of affording a second Play5 Gen2 someday soon(-ish), get the Gen2 regardless of your music.  Aside from ongoing app compatibility, it really is a better engineering and manufacturing result than the Gen1, which is reflected in its sound.

[Edit: @Airgetlam might be right: Try simply adding a Sub to your current setup?  The downside is that the Sub cannot ever give you a second zone, whereas you could decide to move the Play5(s) to another room.  A possible down/upside is that “punch” you desire might not be the frequency range the Sub covers.  Or it might be *exactly* what you need!  Buy somewhere with a return policy, and try it out.  (Not sure about used prices for older Sub Gen2 these days.)]

Thank you! We kind of listen to music all over the place. If I purchase a single Play 5 Gen 2, I will have to definitely add another to my list of want. The sub would be the only other thing on my list. Currently I run the Beam and 2 Sonos One Gen 2 in my living room, a single Sonos One Gen 2 in the kitchen and I have a pair of Sonos One Gen 1 in the bedroom. Loving the direction just feel like I want “more” out of the living room.