Question

Sonos Play 5

• 26 February 2018
  • 11 replies

I am thinking about getting a Sonos Play 5 unit to replace my existing Marshall Woburn speaker. I like to listen my music loud and huge fan of heavy metal. My room is like 350 sq ft area. Can this new Sonos Play 5 be able to replace my existing Marshall Woburn which is pretty loud and clear audio.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I am thinking about getting a Sonos Play 5 unit to replace my existing Marshall Woburn speaker. I like to listen my music loud and huge fan of heavy metal. My room is like 350 sq ft area. Can this new Sonos Play 5 be able to replace my existing Marshall Woburn which is pretty loud and clear audio.

Fundamentally though. Why do you want to replace your existing set up with a Play 5? What do you believe your are not getting or you want to get out of the change?
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I am neither hot under the collar or taking shots at anyone. I am merely querying your statements. This forum does not have to be a war but it also isn’t church. People are allowed to challenge others.
If there are things that he hasn't said, that is for him to do surely. Or to ignore my recommendation. I don't see why you should get hot under the collar on his behalf. Although if you want to take more potshots at me, fire away at this as well: https://en.community.sonos.com/components-228996/b-o-8000-s-and-connect-6803235

Alternatively, be more useful to the OP by making a constructive recommendation.

To the OP on a separate matter: reading about it, the Marshall certainly seems to be a hefty bit of kit. Even if you want to pay a premium to duplicate tech of the Chromecast kind by getting a 5 unit or two, I suggest a listening test at home. The sound signature of the 5, singly or stereo paired, will almost certainly be very distinct from that of the Marshall. The only way to know which one you subjectively prefer is to listen to both in your home, at the sound levels you prefer, with music of your tastes.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Maybe you should enquire more into why he is thinking of doing the replacement. I think you may be making some assumptions. What is he trying to get from Sonos.

You are taking a strange stance re Sonos these days which I find rather curious.

I see no reason to push Sonos to everyone that asks the question here, if I don't see a match of needs v Sonos features. Why would someone that already has a Chromecast audio, that they don't seem to have any issues with, pay more for the same tech from Sonos?

I am sorry to not be a 100% Sonos fan!

I needed Sonos in 2011, when Chromecast Audio was not launched. Sonos today would not be the automatic choice it was in 2011.
Thanks Kumar,
But my question was to understand the need of units of play 5 and not whether i need it or not. I certainly need at least one
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I have Chromecast audio plugged in.
You don't need Sonos; just an external powered speaker/speaker pair with a line in jack in the style of the many computer and/or active speakers out there and you are good to go once you plug the CC into them.

I find this a rather curious response. Did you need Sonos Kumar?

It’s s response that does not consider the feature set of the options he has under consideration. He doesn’t “need” either option.

You are taking a strange stance re Sonos these days which I find rather curious.
I have Chromecast audio plugged in.
You don't need Sonos; just an external powered speaker/speaker pair with a line in jack in the style of the many computer and/or active speakers out there and you are good to go once you plug the CC into them.
Userlevel 7
OK...That's great BT is not an issue. The Play 5 will accept your Chromecast Audio as I have one plugged into my Play 5's x 2 in stereo pair with sub. My favorites genres are smooth jazz and R&B.

I get excellent room filling sound with balanced lows/mids/highs. I use Sonos TruePlay to tune my Play 5's to my room environment. Are there better sounding wireless speakers on the market...mostly likely so...but not with the overall versatility of Sonos.

If your existing Marshall Woburn is about to give up the ghost then there's no question that a single or pair of Play 5's would outperform what you presently have. Then again I could be wrong. FYI, I have a pair of 15 year old Definitive Technology towers with sub that my Play 5's can't touch. On the other hand the Definitive Technology towers can't touch the Play 5 system for versatility.

So...again I say...please audition a pair of Play 5's in your home. You'll be able to listen to them as a standalone speaker as well as a stereo pair. Sonos direct offers a 45 day return policy although a local retailer with a liberal return policy may be more convenient. As I don't believe you be disappointed with the Play 5 but only you can decide.

Cheers!
I am not a fan of BT even in my existing unit I have Chromecast audio plugged in. In my opinion BT anyway degrades sound quality. The only deal breaker for me that I want to enjoy the music of my taste better than I was doing before. Just wondering if that would require a single play 5 or 2 units of it so I can stereo pair it. It should not be a overkill for my room.
Userlevel 7
That's a very subject question. As everyone's opinion may vary. IMO it's a great speaker although I've not perfromed an A/B comparison vs. the Marshall Woburn. However, please be aware that the Play 5 has a line-in but is not natively BT capable; unless via a BT dongle into line-in. So if native BT ability is not a deal breaker I suggest you audition the Play 5 in-home to decide for yourself. Cheers!