Question

Sonos play 1. Should I buy one or two

• 22 January 2018
  • 33 replies

I am thinking about buying the sonos play 1. Would only one be enough or should I buy two. It is for my bedroom so the room is not that big.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

While the single unit will do a good job, if stereo sound is your thing get a pair, even in a small room.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think a single sounds good in a small room. As Kumar says it really comes down to if you want the true stereo separation. A single is going to be plenty room filling.

My Recommendation: Get 6 - one for every single room of the house.

Scratch that: One play:5 and 5 Play:1s
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think a single sounds good in a small room. As Kumar says it really comes down to if you want the true stereo separation. A single is going to be plenty room filling.

My Recommendation: Get 6 - one for every single room of the house.

Scratch that: One play:5 and 5 Play:1s

Ha ha. So true.

I started with one Play1. I now have 7.

And 2 Play 3s

And a Playbar

And a Sub

But joking aside. If you have a house and are just starting out and you can get a deal on buying more than 1 Play 1 you might as well go for it!
Badge
Don’t waist your money! I have 8 of these things and wish I could return them all. If you finally get them working properly it won’t stay that way. They constantly cut out Sonos told me it was my Wi-Fi so 500$ router 160-170 mps both ways all the time still drops all the time?!?! I have spent many hrs trouble shooting with Sonos and now at the end of it all it is useless and not working. I feel this is the worst wirless speaker system on the market. Oh and watch out for the trolls from Sonos commenting that with just some more trouble shooting I would have fixed it BS! I have a lot of patients and know how but I am done with this Sonos crap!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
With 8 Sonos units I would recommend always running Sonosnet not wifi only (meaning one unit hooked to router). That is what sets Sonos apart from any competitors - Sonosnet = reliability.

You don't seem to want advice though as you just want to complain about something that works perfectly for most everyone else.
I have the same experience as Ohnos - and the 800 number is a total waste of time; terminal hold is all you get. We bought 4 play ones and a 5. They worked fine for about a month, now they keep dropping. The way these are configured just blows when you have a really large house with multiple WAPs. I wish I had just used the homes pre-wire and bought Bose ceiling mounted speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I thought the 800 number is callback option. This time a year I wouldn’t think they would be that busy.

If you make a post here describing problem I’m sure a sonosnrep or others will be glad to help. A good way to start is submit a diagnostic from settings advanced and post into a new thread. Sonos can look at your system then from the diagnostic and find where issues are. These are network devices. Sometimes some troubleshooting is required. Again I still recommend sonosnet vs connecting to home WiFi
The instructions on the diagnostic submission recommend only submitting when instructed to by a Sonos rep; but, to get to a Sonos rep seems to be the problem... I mean, I'm sure it's good when it works (I do like the sound). But managing these things is a part-time job and I don't want to manage it, I just want to listen to my music.
The instructions on the diagnostic submission recommend only submitting when instructed to by a Sonos rep; but, to get to a Sonos rep seems to be the problem... I mean, I'm sure it's good when it works (I do like the sound). But managing these things is a part-time job and I don't want to manage it, I just want to listen to my music.
It should NOT be a part time job and it isn't for most users.

Turn on all speakers, and as soon as problems start, submit the diagnostic and quote it in an email to Sonos Support. That creates an incident you should track to closure, and it is retained in your account for the future.

For all the money you have paid Sonos, you should not let them off the hook easily; they have a duty to fix things for you.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Jennifer, I assume your multiple APs are configured for the same SSID and on the same subnet. Do they support roaming? I know the Sonos speakers aren't constantly moving, but if they're equal distance from two different APs, devices can sometimes switch AP associations, and if the APs don't talk to each other and handoff properly, devices can periodically disconnect and reconnect. Just a thought. I have multiple APs to cover my house as well, and I've had no problems with mine, so it definitely can work in a multi-AP environment.

Regarding your issues contacting support, I've gotten through via https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/ask. You can submit a ticket to the support team that way, and there's a field for you to enter the diagnostic # too. I hope you get it sorted out.
Badge
I forgot to mention that I was already told to get the boost. More money down the tubes. sonosnet is no better. Even when I change the channel. That was like 6 troubleshoots ago.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You don't need a boost if you hook an existing unit to your router. Again - goes to Sonosnet solving most issues with home routers wifi.
Badge
Except that it didn't solve my issues. Like I said I am using sonosnet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I will leave you to your complaining and not asking for help.
Badge
If you read my post I make it quite clear that I have exhausted the troubleshooting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Don’t waist your money! I have 8 of these things and wish I could return them all. If you finally get them working properly it won’t stay that way. They constantly cut out Sonos told me it was my Wi-Fi so 500$ router 160-170 mps both ways all the time still drops all the time?!?! I have spent many hrs trouble shooting with Sonos and now at the end of it all it is useless and not working. I feel this is the worst wirless speaker system on the market. Oh and watch out for the trolls from Sonos commenting that with just some more trouble shooting I would have fixed it BS! I have a lot of patients and know how but I am done with this Sonos crap!
I hate to say it, but there's really only one troll in this thread:

"In Internet slang, a troll (/troʊl, trɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional ..."
Badge
Ya, Im sure its not me trying to warn people. To not to make the same mistake I did. Good luck after reading more comments on this board I will be surprised if Sonos is around in a couple of years.
What force on earth has guaranteed you the two years needed to be sure of being surprised two years hence?
If people are really dropping signal due to WiFi, get a mesh network (google WiFi works very well for a multi room house or condo) or hardline your primary speaker. Networking/wireless capabilities shouldn’t be a reflection of the speakers performance. The signals are solid, the sound is ideal.
If people are really dropping signal due to WiFi, get a mesh network (google WiFi works very well for a multi room house or condo) or hardline your primary speaker. Networking/wireless capabilities shouldn’t be a reflection of the speakers performance. If the signals are solid, the sound is ideal.
Badge
I have a mesh system and it didn’t help more money down the tubes. Sonos will just keep telling you to buy more stuff to make there system work and in the end it won’t.
That sucks. Do you have google WiFi or another brand? My signal is so strong i get it out on the sidewalk now. Also, haven’t had any issues since going fiber with FIOS. Had time warner/spectrum previously and the primary signal sucked so mesh wouldn’t have helped much there. I just have the playbar and 4 play 1s scattered around so maybe it’s just not as complex a setup. Lots of factors play into these things, so I get it, all the hardware and software needs to work optimally, not just the speakers. Sorry you’re having issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
I've got 6 Sonos units and although not a fan of some recent app changes I've found the hardware to be excellent. We have them upstairs and downstairs with no dropouts or any connection issues at all.

W have a single Play:1 in the Kitchen and it does an excellent job.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
2 and enjoy stereo sound if you have the room for them. If not one would do a good job.
I'm not sure what the SSID means or subnet. I have a router the ISP provided downstairs and a router I bought and hardwired upstairs (connect to the ISP router downstairs with CAT5). The WAP upstairs is strong enough to get all the speakers except a single "one" down in my office (the one that keeps dropping out). It worked fine for about a month, now it comes and goes so we just turned the Bose back on in the office with Bluetooth - it works flawlessly EVERYTIME. The Sonos is buggy and works some of the time. And, again, Sonos support is pretty crappy - so don't expect much after the sale, whether you buy 1 or 2 doesn't matter - you probably should buy zero and get something that will work (in my opinion).