Sonos Outdoor Speakers inside??

• 1 December 2020
  • 2 replies

I am trying to understand if the idea of using Sonos Outdoor Speakers inside is just ridiculous.  

I want to put 2 on-wall mounted speakers and a subwoofer in my kitchen, which will be wired to a Sonos Amp.  It would be exclusively for playing music, not AV/theater.

I had intended to buy 2 Bowers & Wilkins M1 satellite speakers. But they are only rated for 20W – 100W, and the Sonos Amp says “speakers’ power rating should be at least 125W for 8 ohm speakers.

The Sonos Outdoor Speakers would be ideal in terms of size, design, and compatibility.  And they would be easily mountable with the FastMount brackets.  They’d be the perfect solution for my setup, but I just don’t know if they would be any good indoors.  

I’ve not been able to find a comparable set of on-wall speakers, and I don't want to put boxy bookshelf speakers on a wall-mount, like the Pinpoint AM-41.  

Thoughts? 

Other recommendations?

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

It is possible to wall mount Sonos Ones - or even the SL version if you don’t want/need built in Alexa. The only challenge may be convenient electrical outlet points nearby. You will then save the footprint/expense of a Sonos Amp.

For a kitchen, a Sub may not even be necessary.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Splat5.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I would like to share with you some information that might help.

I had intended to buy 2 Bowers & Wilkins M1 satellite speakers. But they are only rated for 20W – 100W, and the Sonos Amp says “speakers’ power rating should be at least 125W for 8 ohm speakers.” The Sonos Amp has a maximum power capavity of 125 Watts per channel @ 8 ohms. Any speakers that goes beyond that power capacity would have issues with either audio output, volume delivery, audio quality, etc.  Your Bower & Wilkins speaker fits the power requirement of the Sonos Amp.

The Sonos Outdoor Speakers would be ideal in terms of size, design, and compatibility.  And they would be easily mountable with the FastMount brackets.  They’d be the perfect solution for my setup, but I just don’t know if they would be any good indoors. The Sonance outdoor speakers has weather resistant, and is rated for outdoor use. The Sonance outdoor speaker does not support Trueplay. If trueplay does not matter, then you can use the Sonance outdoor speakers indoors.

I’ve not been able to find a comparable set of on-wall speakers, and I don't want to put boxy bookshelf speakers on a wall-mount, like the Pinpoint AM-41.  You may want to consider the Sonance in-wall speakers. These speakers support trueplay and was designed to be used in-walls which does not outstand and are plain and can be mounted flush in walls.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Here in the community, everybody can help you out.

Thanks,