Sonos One with Alexa for Beam rear speakers or old Sonos One

• 7 December 2018
  • 1 reply

I have just bought the Sonos Beam for my TV and now want to get two Sonos Ones as rear speakers for surround sound.

I have read that the alexa mic is switched off on them when used as rear speakers - so would it make more sense to just buy two of the old ones?

The only benefit I can think of currently is that if I wanted to move them to another room in the future as singles I could enable alexa on them, but I already have two amazon echos which do a good job in smaller rooms.

Are there any other benefits to the newer version? Or any reason the old ones wouldn’t work?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I think you've accurately identified the pros and cons of both.

I think the Sonos Ones are more future proof, when things change, but if you're only ever to be using them as surround speakers, I think the PLAY:1s will be fine.

Given the relatively small price difference between the two, I'd still get the Sonos Ones. I can never tell when my circumstances/needs will change and I'll end up using the current surrounds in a different manner.