Sonos One + 2 Play 1's or Play 5 with Echo Dot?

• 2 February 2018
  • 31 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes the one can do all that. Most all skills etc. work its just a few proprietary things Amazon isn't pushing out to the enable devices right now.

With the Sonos one you would say "Alexa, Play "Alive she Cried" by the Doors"

With a Dot you would have to say "Alexa, Play Alive she cried" by the Doors in Kitchen" ... where Kitchen is the name of your Sonos speaker.

A big negative to the current implementation with the Dot. Say you have 5 Sonos speakers in your house. Your wife is playing music upstairs in the bedroom and your in the kitchen. You ask the Dot "Alexa play the doors in kitchen". It will lower the music across the house (even in your bedroom upstairs interrupting your wife) in order to best listen to your Alexa question.

The Sonos One will not do that as it knows the unit you are speaking to and only lowers volume on the Sonos One. So asking an Alexa query of "Alexa what is the weather" in the kitchen won't lower the volume on your wife upstairs in the bedroom.
Thanks for the reply Chris. I don’t need the gimmicky stuff but it would be cool to ask trivia questions, or say , “hey Alexa, play “Alive she cried” by the Doors”. And have it work. Can the One do those things?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Sonos one though is more streamlined for music. Not having to say the room name for one is great with the Sonos One.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There are a number of features Amazon doesn't push out to Alexa enable devices like the Sonos One. You can not to phone/intercom/calling to a Sonos One as an example. Also currently no timers or alarms. They have added reminders.
Thanks for that thoughtful response Kumar. How does the functionality of the Dot compare with that of Sonos One? I’m ok with the extra $ for Sonos One since I expect to add several speakers of that size as well. Does the One’s Alexa fall short of the Dot’s?
Assuming the Sonos/Alexa integration is available to you - US/UK/Germany - I suggest a Dot with a 1 pair. And start saving for a Sub. Even a 1 pair will do better than a single 5.

You have the advantage in this approach of having the Dot kept some distance away from loud sound sources; that can only help the mic response to voice commands. The one con is no line in; so you can't use the old iPod. But the app is nowhere as bad as you think; and at this time in the development of voice control, it is still a better way to control compared to voice control that is gimmicky at this time.