Sonos in a school

• 2 June 2019
  • 1 reply

hi! I’m a teacher in a kindergarten, i contact you because we are looking for a audio equipment for the exterior and with the capacity for 150 people. In this case, what sonos option is the best for our needs?

1 reply

Hi, Marissa,

I'm not sure what you mean by "capacity for 150 people". Would you be so kind as to elucidate?

Even without that information, I'm going to give you some information which may, or may not , be helpful.

First, Sonos is designed for home use. In many enterprise (work) environments, there are substantial issues around networking that need to be overcome, and even so, present substantial difficulties, often due to the size of the network, and the number of subnets involved.

Second, Sonos is not designed to be used as an "announcement" device. There's no easy way to introduce a Public Address component to it, nor does it have a "response" component. It is designed for playing streams from the internet, or from a local library.

Third, the actual Sonos devices are not designed for outside use. Sonos has partnered with another company called Sonance, who does make speakers for external use, but they are rather expensive for a normal school budget.

You may want to re-evaluate your specific needs, and continue looking elsewhere. Much as I am a fan of Sonos, I'm not convinced that your school's monies would be well spent here.