Sonos House Set Up Advice

• 8 October 2018
  • 6 replies

Hi

I'm due to have some building work done soon and thought it was a good time to look at getting some ceiling speakers, but I'm unsure of what I need in order to get the set up I want.

There will be two bathrooms next to each other upstairs and I was thinking each would only need one ceiling speaker due to their size. I was thinking I could have one sonos amp connected to both. I'd want to be able to choose to play music in one, both or none of the rooms. Is that possible?

Downstairs we will have a kitchen area which will need at least two ceiling speakers, directly outside I intend to have two outdoor speakers as well. I'd expect the four speakers to always be playing the same music. Would I need two Sonos amps for this?

Cheers!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Each Sonos Connect Amp will be treated as a Room within the App and so for your two bathrooms you would need a Connect Amp for each room to play different music in each.

For the Kitchen & Outdoor area, a single Connect Amp could power all 4 speakers if you ALWAYS want to play the same music but please see the max speaker impedance detailed in this article:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/265#4_speakers

Note: You may want to wait for the new Amp:

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/amp.html
Thanks, if I always wanted to play the same music in both bathrooms, would I only need the one amp. What would I need to be able to play in one room but not the other?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Please note I edited my first comment, with reference to the new Amp product :)

Thanks, if I always wanted to play the same music in both bathrooms, would I only need the one amp. Yes, as long as you stay within the speaker impedance limits

What would I need to be able to play in one room but not the other? If you want to control from the Sonos App, you would need two Connect Amp or two new Amps
Thanks, I'm assuming that's also applicable in the kitchen, i.e. I won't always want music to be playing outside. I'd want the ability for the outdoor speaker volume to be zero, but to be playing music in the kitchen.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks, I'm assuming that's also applicable in the kitchen, i.e. I won't always want music to be playing outside. I'd want the ability for the outdoor speaker volume to be zero, but to be playing music in the kitchen.

Yes or you could use a speaker switch like this to switch off the outside speakers:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/HQ-Speaker-Control-Connect-Speakers/dp/B000W1XMJS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1539013874&sr=8-2&keywords=speaker+switch
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Just wanted to add that for the bathrooms, it's a good idea to get in ceiling stereo input speakers. That will give you a bit better sound that mono speakers. As well, the Connect:amp can't output in mono (the Sonos Amp does) so you would really need stereo input speakers.

And just my opinion, if you have to decide between having an amp for each bathroom vs a separate amp between the kitchen and outdoors, I'd get separate amps for kitchen/outdoors. Yes, you can get a volume control switch but that is not anywhere near as good as app or voice control.

And more opinion...having in-ceiling speakers in the bathroom is nice, but I'd put a Sonos One or Play in their instead. If you're redoing the walls, you can make sure there is good place to mount it all the wall or something.