Answered

Sonos BU130 Digital Music System Bundle

• 25 July 2018
  • 1 reply

I've been wanting to buy Sonos for a while, and just today a used Sonos bundle has come up for sale. I'm wondering if the experts in the community can tell me if this bundle is still supported by Sonos - can the software/firmware be upgraded - and will it connect to newer speakers? I've read that the wireless range may not be as good in this bundle, so could I buy a Boost to help with this? I'm looking to use 2 speakers upstairs at my house, and one in my back yard. The bundle is being sold with these items: 1 ZP100 base unit, 2 ZP90 room units. From the pictures, it looks like one of these is a Connect. Could I tie this into an existing speaker system? Thanks for any help you can give!
icon

Best answer by jgatie 25 July 2018, 19:10

Yes, currently they are fully functional and compatible with newer units. Note though, these are the very oldest Sonos units ever made. They originally came out in 2005 and are limited in a few ways (older radios, less range, must do a complete index on local libraries to add tracks, no Airplay 2). Also, there is talk about retiring some older player units as the hardware is increasingly less capable of keeping up. This was recently done with the CR100, which was the original controller for the ZP80/ZP100. If this happens to older players, the ZP80/ZP100 will most certainly be the first of the retired units, and you may wish to factor that into your purchase.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Yes, currently they are fully functional and compatible with newer units. Note though, these are the very oldest Sonos units ever made. They originally came out in 2005 and are limited in a few ways (older radios, less range, must do a complete index on local libraries to add tracks, no Airplay 2). Also, there is talk about retiring some older player units as the hardware is increasingly less capable of keeping up. This was recently done with the CR100, which was the original controller for the ZP80/ZP100. If this happens to older players, the ZP80/ZP100 will most certainly be the first of the retired units, and you may wish to factor that into your purchase.