Answered

Sonos arc and In-Ceiling Set

• 31 August 2021
  • 12 replies

Hello, I am getting ready to purchase a Sonos ARC and a SUB.

for surround speakers I am going to get the “In-Ceiling Set”
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/amp-and-ceiling-set.html

Will these all work together? Does anyone have this setup? Are they happy with it?

I was trying to find some docs on how I would connect the Sonos ARC and the AMP that comes with the “In-Ceiling Set”

Thanks for any help

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 31 August 2021, 06:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Or just use your ears, and see how each setup actually sounds to you :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

So really the change that I would make would be more about shifting the rear Ones outside of being directly behind the couch to that 100/120 angle. Doesn’t really say how far away from the couch though. Interesting to see it doesn’t form a square with the fronts, although in the case of the Arc you making more of a triangle (or is it a trapezoid?).Guess I need to get my protractor out and review my geometry books… :wink:

Where as my counterpoint is my setup tends to be more your proposed B setup, since the couch back is against the wall. It works for me. The surrounds are on stands, so they’re at ear level, though.

Technically, Danny (or Dolby) is right, but it’s your personal space, while they have suggestions, it’s your ears, your content that needs to be satisfied :)

Don’t worry so much about perfection in the eyes of the rest of the world, worry about what works for you and your ears :)

Edit: The nice thing about Sonos is you can experiment (although it’s slightly harder with ceiling speakers) with locations. 

So has anyone tried the stand One route vs the Amp ceiling speaker route for a Arc/Sub setup? Is it just personal preference? The reason I ask is that I currently have the One rear set up but have non Sonance overhead speakers available and set as rears and could move some things around to use my Amp instead with those as rear. How about an official ruling on this. Ceiling is 8 foot standard. 

The suround audio channels should be coming from the sides at ear level, not from speakers above you.    Doesn’t mean you can’t break the ‘rules’ and enjoy it any way you want, but those are the rules.

Thanks for the feedback. As is, so it shall be. My only other question is you say from the sides at ear level, not behind. Excuse my diagramming below but do you mean literally A or B as I always thought they were supposed to be behind?

x One                                      x One                   Current A setup

<<<<<<<<<<Couch>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>      

OR

x One <<<<<<<<Couch>>>>>>>>>x One            Proposed B setup

Notes: Wall is directly behind Ones. Couch is a rounded 4+ cushioned couch where ends come forward about 6-9 inches and Ones sit right behind the ends but angled slightly to the middle. Also when couch ends are upright they block 2/3 inches of Ones but reclined they do not. In the B scenario are you saying to set them let’s say literally to the left and right of the couch so it would play in the right and left ear of the person on the ends? Just curious.

See the diagram below from Dolby.  This is the ideal though, as you can still get good sound if you place the speakers in different locations.  My surrounds are actually a foot behind and 2 feet above sitting level...but it’s the space I have to work with.

So has anyone tried the stand One route vs the Amp ceiling speaker route for a Arc/Sub setup? Is it just personal preference? The reason I ask is that I currently have the One rear set up but have non Sonance overhead speakers available and set as rears and could move some things around to use my Amp instead with those as rear. How about an official ruling on this. Ceiling is 8 foot standard. 

The suround audio channels should be coming from the sides at ear level, not from speakers above you.    Doesn’t mean you can’t break the ‘rules’ and enjoy it any way you want, but those are the rules.

Thanks for the feedback. As is, so it shall be. My only other question is you say from the sides at ear level, not behind. Excuse my diagramming below but do you mean literally A or B as I always thought they were supposed to be behind?

x One                                      x One                   Current A setup

OR

Notes: Wall is directly behind Ones. Couch is a rounded 4+ cushioned couch where ends come forward about 6-9 inches and Ones sit right behind the ends but angled slightly to the middle. Also when couch ends are upright they block 2/3 inches of Ones but reclined they do not. In the B scenario are you saying to set them let’s say literally to the left and right of the couch so it would play in the right and left ear of the person on the ends? Just curious.

Sorry to jump in, but I have a Sonos Stands “B” set up. Idk if it’s “right” for One’s tho.

Hi!

I have arc, sub, 2 One SL speakers.

Because I have 15 feet tall ceilings - arc’s upwards firing speakers don’t do anything to get me decent overhead sound. To overcome it, I want to add 2-4 ceiling speakers (amp). Will such setup provide me with true DD+/Atmos in the end? I read conflicting opinions about it. 

thank you!

Alex

You can already get “true DD+/Atmos” with your current setup. Your high ceiling and the limitations of upward firing drivers from a sound bar just limits the amount of overhead effects you can hear.

The maximum setup you can have with the Arc is a 5.2.2 setup that includes the Arc, two Subs (one must be Gen 3), and two rear surround speakers. You cannot add any more to this setup. So adding an Amp powering 2-4 ceiling speakers wouldn’t work.

If you want a Dolby Atmos setup with convincing overhead effects, you need to go with a traditional Dolby Atmos AV receiver that allows you to connect a dedicated speaker for each channel. This would allow you to install in-ceiling speakers to produce the height channel effects you are looking for.

Have you adjusted the height audio level of the Sonos Arc in the Sonos app? How far are you seated from the Arc?

Ugh. That’s a bummer. I thought in-ceiling Sonos supports channel re-distribution once connected through amp. :(

To your point - 8 feet away from the arc. Height audio is at a max, but all it does for me is that I can hear crystal clear loud sound on the second and the third floor lol

Arc Atmos works tremendously well in the bedrooms that are 8 feet :(

Thank you for reply!

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

OR

So has anyone tried the stand One route vs the Amp ceiling speaker route for a Arc/Sub setup? Is it just personal preference? The reason I ask is that I currently have the One rear set up but have non Sonance overhead speakers available and set as rearsand could move some things around to use my Amp instead with those as rear. How about an official ruling on this. Ceiling is 8 foot standard. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

So has anyone tried the stand One route vs the Amp ceiling speaker route for a Arc/Sub setup? Is it just personal preference? The reason I ask is that I currently have the One rear set up but have non Sonance overhead speakers available and set as rearsand could move some things around to use my Amp instead with those as rear. How about an official ruling on this. Ceiling is 8 foot standard. 

Userlevel 7

Hi!

Because I have 15 feet tall ceilings - arc’s upwards firing speakers don’t do anything to get me decent overhead sound. To overcome it, I want to add 2-4 ceiling speakers (amp). Will such setup provide me with true DD+/Atmos in the end? I read conflicting opinions about it. 

thank you!

Alex

You can already get “true DD+/Atmos” with your current setup. Your high ceiling and the limitations of upward firing drivers from a sound bar just limits the amount of overhead effects you can hear.

The maximum setup you can have with the Arc is a 5.2.2 setup that includes the Arc, two Subs (one must be Gen 3), and two rear surround speakers. You cannot add any more to this setup. So adding an Amp powering 2-4 ceiling speakers wouldn’t work.

If you want a Dolby Atmos setup with convincing overhead effects, you need to go with a traditional Dolby Atmos AV receiver that allows you to connect a dedicated speaker for each channel. This would allow you to install in-ceiling speakers to produce the height channel effects you are looking for.

Have you adjusted the height audio level of the Sonos Arc in the Sonos app? How far are you seated from the Arc?

Hi!

thank you!

Alex

Userlevel 7

Yes, they will all work together for a 5.1.2 surrround sound setup.

I don’t personally have the in-ceiling speakers as rear surrounds. I use a pair of Play:1s on speaker stands. Some users prefer in-wall or regular speakers like the Play:1s or One SLs as surrounds because you can position the speakers at ear level. But in-ceiling speakers will work just fine. NOTE: If you are on a budget, a pair of One SLs are significantly less expensive than an Amp/in-ceiling speaker set.

The Amp will connect wirelessly to the Arc. Here is some info on setting up the Amp as surrounds:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4717?language=en_US