Sonos Amp w/ Vinyl: Phono Preamp Recommendations?

• 25 March 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

I just switched from my old vinyl setup of TurntableIntegra DTM 5.3 receiver + Port to Turntable Amp.

I didn’t realize I would need a phono preamp in order to use to my 1970s turntable, which used to hook up to the Integra’s phono input. I thought the Amp had a built-in phono stage, whoops ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. 

I’d like to stick with this new Amp setup, but I’m not sure which phono preamp to get. Since I wasn’t anticipating having to buy a preamp in the first place, I’d like to keep my costs somewhat low, $200 or less if possible.

I’ve heard good things about the Schiit Mani 2 and Ifi Zen Phono, and that’s basically it. Wouldn’t mind buying the $65 one from Turntable Lab either, but I assume it’s nothing special. 

Does anyone have any recommendations within my price range ($0-200) that would sound good with the Amp?

Honestly if it could sound just as good as my previous setup I’d be perfectly happy. I’m sure the phono stage in my old receiver wasn’t that great in the first place. Maybe I should just go cheap. But I also wouldn’t mind if it could sound better :) 

Running the Amp with a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 5i speakers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Some suggested Pre-Amps from other threads:

ART DJPREII Phono Preamplifier 

Pro-Ject Phono Box MM 

Rega FONO MINI A2D Mk2

I’m also after a phono preamp and my set is an Audio Technical basic turntable connected to port. Speakers are Arc, two play ones and a sub. Current turntable has a preamp built in, but it’s sensitivity is very low with an output of 150mV and this caused the volume to be quite low on Sonos Arc set up despite setting Line Level to 10 on port. Therefore I’m after a decent preamp.

There are some pre-amps mentioned in the below thread which you may find helpful:

Go cheap.  Phono pre-amp technology predates the transistor, and if the components cost more than pennies to produce, I’ll eat my hat. 

I know this thread is old, but I wanted to add my two cents in case it helps someone in their purchasing decision. 

My turntable is a Technics SL-1200. When I hooked it up to the Port a few years ago, I used a cheap Pyle PP444 for the preamp and Shure MK44 as the cartridge. After my needle needed replacing, I splurged and got a Nakaoga 110! It made a massive difference to the overall sound of my records. Truly a night and day difference, which got me to start buying records again

Today, I replaced the Pyle preamp with a Schiit Mani 2, which elevated the music even more! The warmth of the Nakaoga and Schiit Mani 2 combo is incredible. Listening to records I have heard 1000 times, like Miles Davis, Kind of Blues, sounds better, and I hear more details in the music. I highly recommend the Mani 2 as a preamp, and if you can combine it with the Nakaoga, it's even better.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The SL-1200 deserves a good cartridge, but one properly adjusted will help most any turntable.

Badge +1

Anyone have other personal recommendations of ones they own?

I purchased and tried the ART preamp but despite where I place the gain/line out level settings on the S2 app it’s still clipping and sounding pretty crappy. Going to return it.

Deciding between the Phono Box DC, Schiit Mani 2 and IFi Zen Phono (if I can find the iFi used). I don’t want to go that high in price but if someone has a rave review about one of the ones I mentioned, I’d love to hear it.

I’m also after a phono preamp and my set is an Audio Technical basic turntable connected to port. Speakers are Arc, two play ones and a sub. Current turntable has a preamp built in, but it’s sensitivity is very low with an output of 150mV and this caused the volume to be quite low on Sonos Arc set up despite setting Line Level to 10 on port. Therefore I’m after a decent preamp.