Sonos Amp vs. single Play:5

• 29 March 2019
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I have a feeling I already know the answer but looking for reason to change my mind. I have a pair of PSB Image B5 bookshelf speakers (orig $400 pair) that are doing nothing. I am thinking about getting the amp to drive them. The alternative would be a single Play:5 (for the same money). I really love the sound of the PSB's with the exception of weak bass, which I expect the Play:5 to have more of. But I've never really heard a Play:5 in a "proper" environment to really hear what they sound like. If I'm trading a bit more bass for less clarity and detail I won't do it. I'm leaning towards the amp.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
The sound from a speaker is also dependent on the amp driving it.

Take advantage of the 100 day money-back trial, get the Amp, Play:5 and two Play:1’s or Ones and audition them in situ. Return the losers and carry on enjoying the sound from the winners.
My vote is always for stereo separation.
Likewise, unless one is listening from not more than a couple of feet away from a speaker that has left and right units built into it, where some sense of separation is still available at a short distance from the speaker. From the OP post, I do not think this use case holds.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
My vote is always for stereo separation. If you were happy with the PSB Image speakers' sound before, you'll probably be very happy with them attached to a Sonos AMP. Of course, Sonos' generous return policy lets you try out a 5 as well.

(I'm personally unimpressed with the Play 5's sound, but I'm in a lonely minority on this board.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I've fooled with Play 1, 3 and 5 speakers looking to find the best sound for my spaces and one of the things I compared was a Play 3 and 5 sitting in the same spot. The 5 of course sounded better but compared to the 3 the 5's music sounded much more live. Standing the 5 on end made it sound much closer to the 3 and the only difference I'm aware of is the switch from single-pint stereo to mono operation. Perception of this kind of thing is an individual situation and some folks notice a difference while others don't.

For me, I have a 5 as a desktop speaker where I much prefer it to a 1 or 3 even though the volume level is rarely up more than a few clicks from zero and either of the others would do as well for producing sound. At another desk, with more room, I have a pair of Play 3s and moving between the two I really notice the better stereo image from the paired 3s compared to the single 5.
For all practical purposes a single 5 will have no stereo image and will sound like a mono speaker. If buying on returnable basis is possible get a 1/One pair and a Sonos amp for the PSBs, and keep the Sonos product/s that deliver better sound quality on listening to preferred music. Properly set up and with true play tuning done, the Sonos pair may come very close if not equal to/better than the PSB sound.
I also expect that a 1 pair+ Sonos Sub will sound better than Sonos Amp+ PSB+ cheaper third party Sub, at a higher price point in both cases.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Amp and a powered sub to carry the low end would be a good option.

The Play 5 sounds really great but the stereo image is not what you get from a pair of speakers properly set up.