Question

Sonos amp + turntable

• 6 December 2019
  • 4 replies

Hi all,

Stupid question, but was planning on buying a Sonos amp, 2 Sonos 1 speakers to connect with my Thorens turntable. 

Do i need to buy a pre amp to use my turntable with the Sonos amp, or can i just connect the turntable directly into the Sonos amp?

thanks,

Paul

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Hi all,

Stupid question, but was planning on buying a Sonos amp, 2 Sonos 1 speakers to connect with my Thorens turntable. 

Do i need to buy a pre amp to use my turntable with the Sonos amp, or can i just connect the turntable directly into the Sonos amp?

thanks,

Paul

If your turntable has a built in pre-amp, no.  If it doesn’t then yes you need a pre-amp.  There isn’t one in the Amp.

You aren’t planning to use the Sonos Ones as the speakers for the Amp are you?  You do have some passive speakers to use with the Amp?

Hi all,

thanks,

Paul

If your turntable has a built in pre-amp, no.  If it doesn’t then yes you need a pre-amp.  There isn’t one in the Amp.

You aren’t planning to use the Sonos Ones as the speakers for the Amp are you?  You do have some passive speakers to use with the Amp?

thanks you for the quick reply, i have a thorens td 160 turntable, which does not have a pre amp. Could you recommend a pre amp that works well with the Sonos amp?

I’m not planning on using passive speakers, just the 2 Sonos Ones with the Amp

Hi all,

thanks,

Paul

thanks you for the quick reply, i have a thorens td 160 turntable, which does not have a pre amp. Could you recommend a pre amp that works well with the Sonos amp?

Sorry I know nothing about pre-amps.  Buying the Amp purely to get a line-in is insane (sorry, but I really want you to get this).  The Sonos Ones are amplified speakers.  They have no need for the amplification from the Amp and it would not be used at all.

Either buy a Port and two Ones  or buy two Play:5s.

As John B stated, if you are not going to connect passive speakers, there is not reason to get the Amp.  The Port will perform the same function for less.