Question

Sonos Amp or Port

• 18 June 2020
  • 3 replies

We recently moved into a rental home and there are speakers in the ceiling and outside. I found where the speaker wire comes out of the wall. Do I need a Sonos port for each zone or a Sonos Amp? In our old house we had 5 zones with 5 connects. I don't see the Connect as an option anymore so I don't know which to get. Please help. Basically just two zones, outside and living room. 

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

We recently moved into a rental home and there are speakers in the ceiling and outside. I found where the speaker wire comes out of the wall. Do I need a Sonos port for each zone or a Sonos Amp? In our old house we had 5 zones with 5 connects. I don't see the Connect as an option anymore so I don't know which to get. Please help. Basically just two zones, outside and living room. 

The port doesn’t power speakers (just passes a stream/music).  So if there is nothing powering those speakers - you’ll need an Amp.

Thank you. Do I need one amp per zone?

Thank you. Do I need one amp per zone?

A single Amp can drive 2 pairs of 8 Ohm speakers, but the source and volume will be the same on both pairs.  For each separate zone with independent source/volume, you would need an Amp per zone.