Sonos Amp: Get More Enjoyment with IR Control

• 13 December 2018
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
If you are not using the Sonos Amp in conjunction with a TV via the HDMI_ARC port; but instead to power your favorite speakers, you'll still want to avoid the hassle of getting up from your listening position to adjust volume.

I found the Logitech Harmony 665 Universal Remote to be the perfect companion. It allows me to adjust volume up/down and mute. Programing it works with Windows and MacOSX. After you download/install the UI software; and set it up using your computer, just follow the instructions in the Sonos App to make it work with the Sonos Amp.

Here's a link; but it can be purchased for less elsewhere...like BestBuy. https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-universal-remote-665?crid=60

Enjoy your Sonos Amp. Cheers!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

@AjTrek1 do you know if Amp has a built in IR receiver? I want to say it doesn't but can't confirm. The lack of an IR receiver would mean that a remote will not work unless you're using an HDMI-ARC connection to the TV.

However, when using an HDMI-ARC connection, you're IR remote does NOT need to be range of the Sonos Amp to control volume. The IR signal goes to the TV, through ARC connection to the Amp. The Amp itself could be a few rooms away connected by long lead HDMI and you're still going to get control.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
It does have a built-in IR receiver.

It's the glossy bit at the bottom.
Userlevel 7
Hi melvimbe...glad you read my post...somewhat :8 LOL

@AjTrek1 do you know if Amp has a built in IR receiver?

Not only do I know; as I own Sonos Amp x 2 🙂 just take a look below. Also, that is why my statement:

"I found the Logitech Harmony 665 Universal Remote to be the perfect companion. It allows me to adjust volume up/down and mute"

However, when using an HDMI-ARC connection, you're IR remote does NOT need to be range of the Sonos Amp to control volume. The IR signal goes to the TV, through ARC connection to the Amp. The Amp itself could be a few rooms away connected by long lead HDMI and you're still going to get control.

I thought I had covered that via the following statement in my post:

"If you are not using the Sonos Amp in conjunction with a TV via the HDMI_ARC port; but instead to power your favorite speakers, you'll still want to avoid the hassle of getting up from your listening position to adjust volume".

Cheers!

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Reading the above and the documentation for the amp apparently it can be used with a remote control. The documentation for the unit says “use your remote control”. Does that mean any remote? Does the device have a learning capability? How is an appropriate and suitable remote chosen which will control it?
Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Reading the above and the documentation for the amp apparently it can be used with a remote control. The documentation for the unit says “use your remote control”. Does that mean any remote? Does the device have a learning capability? How is an appropriate and suitable remote chosen which will control it?
Thanks.

I haven't used it, but I believe it does have learning capability for IR remotes, and I'd have thought that any IR remote would probably work.

The setup control is in: Settings > Room Settings > [Room Name] > Remote > Remote Control Setup.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Thanks, having bought it yet, so can’t check setup procedure. Curious therefore as to how to use a particular remote. If it has learning capabilities, then that is great!
Thanks again, appreciated.
I don't have an Amp, but assuming the setup is like all the other Sonos home theatre players you'd be asked to push Volume Up on your IR remote. The player would usually then recognise the code set and that would be sufficient.

In the odd case where it doesn't it will also ask for Volume Down and Mute to be pushed, so it can learn all the codes directly.
Userlevel 7
If you are asking if a 3rd party remote can be used with the Sonos Amp and a possible recommendation I suggest you read this thread from the beginning :8

PS
If you are using a universal remote with a TV make sure it is programmed to operate the TV first. That should make setting it up the remote with the Sonos Amp simpler.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I don't have an Amp, but assuming the setup is like all the other Sonos home theatre players you'd be asked to push Volume Up on your IR remote. The player would usually then recognise the code set and that would be sufficient.

In the odd case where it doesn't it will also ask for Volume Down and Mute to be pushed, so it can learn all the codes directly.

This is correct, the Amp has an IR sensor that will learn most all IR remotes with just a few button presses.