Sonos Amp For Business?

• 12 February 2019
  • 6 replies

Hi Guys, I am currently undertaking a shop refit in my retail business. The electrician is putting in some standard in-ceiling speakers in the coming week and these will then be connected to an amp. I was considering getting the new Sonos Amp to power these speakers to cut down on a wired connection to media device etc, is this a wise decision or would the amp be too advanced for my simple set up and complicate things? I am familiar with Sonos products as have been using a Play1 in my old shop and have a Playbar connected to my TV at home. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a million, Cormac 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
New amp is great and can well power up to 4 speakers that are 8ohms. Only 2 speakers of 6ohm.
New amp is great and can well power up to 4 speakers that are 8ohms. Only 2 speakers of 6ohm.

Thanks Chris! I better check what the ohms will be of the speakers but I presume standard in-ceiling speakers wouldn't be too powerful? Sorry for my ignorance but I have no clue about ohms! :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Most speakers are 8 ohms, so it's most likely not an issue. You can check the specs for the models to be purchased to be sure. If they are not 8 ohm, you can look into getting a speaker switch.

Sonos is designed to work under normal residential wifi, and sometimes having a lot of bodies in a space can interfere with a wifi signal. However, if you're network is going to look pretty much the same as it did in your old shop, you shouldn't have an issue.
Most speakers are 8 ohms, so it's most likely not an issue. You can check the specs for the models to be purchased to be sure. If they are not 8 ohm, you can look into getting a speaker switch.

Sonos is designed to work under normal residential wifi, and sometimes having a lot of bodies in a space can interfere with a wifi signal. However, if you're network is going to look pretty much the same as it did in your old shop, you shouldn't have an issue.

Thanks Danny! Would myself or the electrician be able to install the amp or would I need a professional installer? Thanks a million for all the help!!

Thanks Danny! Would myself or the electrician be able to install the amp or would I need a professional installer? Thanks a million for all the help!!

The electrician should be putting in a wall plate with stereo binding posts like this:

All you would need to do is connect the binding posts on the Amp to the posts on the wall plate (red to red for the right and left, black to black for the right and left). If you have two pairs of speakers, there will be two pairs of binding posts (8 total, 2 for each channel). You would wire two wires from each post on the Amp to the correct pairs on the wall plate.

For easier connection, you can use banana plugs, like these:

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The electrician should be putting in a wall plate with stereo binding posts like this:

For a business, this is probably the wisest choice. It's not hard to do, but local regulations may not allow a non-licensed person to do this sort of thing on a commercial property. It also get more complicated depending on your access to to space above the ceiling and such.