Answered

Single Sonos setup for music listening and home theater

• 18 September 2021
  • 6 replies

Hello, I have been using Sonos products for quite some time. Currently I own a Playbase, a Sub and 4 Play1/One. I would like to change the setup to a single room in the future, with 1 Arc, 1 Sub & 2 Fives.

The Fives would be surrounds when watching TV.

For music playback I would like to not have sound coming from the TV area. Can the Arc be muted while playing music? Anyone got experience with similar setups? 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 18 September 2021, 17:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I see the first reply was flagged as an answer. I had perhaps hoped for insights from others who had tried similar setups. My current thinking is that I may be better served by buying a different brand for the TV speakers and use a pair of Sonos Fives + Sub for music listening.

I have a setup with Arc + Sub + Ones for TV audio and a pair of 5 for music as a separate Sonos room, but both physically in the same room.  Sure you could go with a different brand of audio for  the TV, but you would not be able to use the sub and a pair of play:1s you already have in that room.  As well, if I happen to be playing music through the TV, I can mute the Arc, and group with the 5 to play music. The only downside I see is that I don’t have a sub bonded with the Fives, but I hope to remedy that with a black friday sale.   If Sonos ever introduces a setup where the Fives can be used as front left and right channels for TV audio, then I’ll be well prepared. 

Not saying this is the best strategy for you, but that’s what I’ve opted to go with.

My setup mirrors exactly what melvimbe uses. A pair of Fives that currently flank my Arc. The Arc is used for TV, the Fives for music. 

But you had your setup first.  Not saying I copied you...it was just a coincidence.

Userlevel 7

If the Fives are connected to the Arc as surrounds, the Arc cannot be muted separately while playing music or TV audio. You would have to remove the Fives as surrounds first to only have audio playing from the Fives.

I see the first reply was flagged as an answer. I had perhaps hoped for insights from others who had tried similar setups. My current thinking is that I may be better served by buying a different brand for the TV speakers and use a pair of Sonos Fives + Sub for music listening.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

There is a setting for boosting the music level from the surrounds when listening to music. Whilst the Arc won’t be muted, and depending on your seating position relative to the speakers, you will get most of the sound from the surrounds and the Sub. 

My setup mirrors exactly what melvimbe uses. A pair of Fives that currently flank my Arc. The Arc is used for TV, the Fives for music.