Should I invest in sonos ?

Show first post

60 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
What size is the mounting hole in the Play 1 .... it doesn't seem to be a metric size, and I can't find any bolts that will fit (here in France)
What size is the mounting hole in the Play 1 .... it doesn't seem to be a metric size, and I can't find any bolts that will fit (here in France)
Threaded mounting hole
1/4 inch /
20-thread

From http://www.sonos.com/documents/productguides/en/Play1Guide_EN.pdf
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
To add to those special Play1 wall brackets: the ones specifically designed for 1s keep the LAN port free! Not that it would matter for me, as I would not wire them anyway, but for some setups that could be an important point.

There could of course be generic brackets which do not block the LAN port as well, but that is more or less luck.
Badge
Well got two more white Play 1s and must admit they look better on the walls than the black ones.

Although the other home cinema speaker wall mounts worked there are a couple of issues as below that made me go back and use the Flexson ones :

1. They don't come with the correct size bolt for the speaker mounting.

2.The mounts stick further out from the wall than the Flexson ones.

3. The most annoying thing, is that you have to REALLY tighten down on the swivel ball to lock it in place and they just don't feel as sturdy.

Overall I think the Flexson ones are easier to fit, use and set in position. Expensive, but I guess if they work ?

I now have 6 Play 1s and trying to decide how many I will return. I quite fancy two more set up as a stereo pair in the conservatory lol

When we went to get the two white ones I made the mistake of showing my wife the playbar not realising the price was right there in front of her lol

She said how much!. However she loves the system and its simplicity so I think I am forgiven. I have spent a fortune but its such a great system to control and gain access to music quickly. The flexibility to have speakers where ever you want them, the reliability (so far) and individual control is a real plus.

As stated I am really pleased with the TV setup. At first I was not sure about the Playbar but once you add the surrounds and get the settings right it performs really well. I was watching a film last night and the surround was excellent. I actually found myself turning the loudness and bass down so I am content that I don't need the sub. Hopefully I can now get rid of all the other 5:1 speakers, amp and cabling. Sadly although the speakers are only about 3 years old I doubt I could do more than give them away. I might get something for my amp but not a lot. Conversely the Sonos stuff seems to hold its value better.

I will probably leave the other stuff around for a month or so just to make sure I am happy with the reliability of Sonos, though as I said it was so easy to set up, so far its performed faultlessly with no conflicts, failures or dropouts when playing music.

Jerry
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Thanks for reporting on the wall mounts. That might help several people looking for answers (me included). If they are expensive, yet hassle free, they might still be "price worthy". :o

I might have to mount 2xPlay5s...
Badge
Well by chance I got a good offer for all my older wired 5:1 AV system which will fund another Play 1. I want one in the bathroom lol. I wanted to run the two systems in parallel for a while until I was sure Sonos was stable and met my requirements.

Well there is no going back now. My TV shelf suddenly looks very empty and the spaghetti of wires behind it has significantly reduced. Still have a couple of HDI and TosLink switches but these should go when my seven year old Panny 42" Plasma gives up the ghost. Its been a brilliant TV.

We are trying to have a clear out in the house anyway so its all good. Next to go is all our DVDs and CDs :p

Jerry
Userlevel 2
I thought Sonos was the answer to a wireless component set up but I have found nothing but frustration - for God's sake all I want to do is play a little music, but Sonos is fragile with periodic temper tantrums that really make it a bad choice - I have replaced my router twice, the central bridge once I have diagnosed every point of possible conflict and throughput, with still bugs - the worse is the center speaker - it hates to be paired and then latency is so bad that speakers sound like a skipping record player - really hating my choice - I am hoping getting social will get some attention!!! ((((#SONOS -- Be aware I have just started to let my opinion be known!!)))
I thought Sonos was the answer to a wireless component set up but I have found nothing but frustration - for God's sake all I want to do is play a little music, but Sonos is fragile with periodic temper tantrums that really make it a bad choice - I have replaced my router twice, the central bridge once I have diagnosed every point of possible conflict and throughput, with still bugs - the worse is the center speaker - it hates to be paired and then latency is so bad that speakers sound like a skipping record player - really hating my choice - I am hoping getting social will get some attention!!! ((((#SONOS -- Be aware I have just started to let my opinion be known!!)))
Okay, so tell us in detail what exchanges you've had with Sonos Support to try and resolve all of this. Unless you've submitted system diagnostics and dealt with Sonos tech support I have to warn you that regulars on this users' forum have a low level of tolerance for rants.

If you want to solicit assistance from experienced users here you'll need to calm down and give us a detailed description of your network, how it all connects together, and what sources you're trying to play.

"Center speaker"??? "Paired"?? Do you mean the Playbar? Because the Playbar is not a center speaker, it is a Right/Center/Left combination in one. If you are trying to "pair" it with left and right speakers, then you will run into problems. You can "pair" (the official term is 'bond') it with a Sub and/or two Play:1 or Play:3 as surrounds, not as Left/Right.

Also, as ratty stated, if you are just here to rant, you might as well go elsewhere. If you are here to seek the help of Sonos enthusiasts, statements like "((((#SONOS -- Be aware I have just started to let my opinion be known!!)))" aren't going to help you earn the help of forum regulars.
Badge
Another thing to consider is resale value. Looking on ebay I am amazed to see that Play 1s go for more including p&p than when I walked into JL and picked up new ones off the shelve.

You could always sell them :rolleyes:

Jerry

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings