Answered

Should I buy a Sonos Port or a Five to connect my turntable?

• 19 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Hello! New user here. I’d like to connect my turntable to my Sonos system. Can I use the Sonos Five to stream my turntable to my other speakers?

I don’t need the output features of the Port so it seems like I’d be better off getting an extra speaker than the Port. Am I missing something?

icon

Best answer by John B 19 November 2020, 18:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @iMatt711.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand that you are looking for answers on how to integrate a turntable with your Sonos system. Let me help you out with that.

The Sonos Port and the Sonos Five both have a line-in port feature that would allow you to integrate your turntable into your Sonos system. However, the Sonos Port uses an RCA connection while the Sonos Five uses a 3.5mm headphone jack as a line-in connection (same as your headset or earphone jack/connector.

The most ideal product you would need to connect the turntable to Sonos would be the Sonos Five based on your preferred options . as the turntable uses an RCA connection that would need an RCA to 3.5MM headphone jack converter and then using the group and ungroup feature on the Sonos app, your son can group the Sonos Five with the Sonos device through the Sonos App to have the audio come out of both Sonos devices.

Let me share with you a topic here in the community that discussed more details about integrating a turntable to Sonos.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi iMatt711, yes you can stream the turntable to other Sonos speakers once you have connected it to the Line In on a Five.

Given the price difference between the Port and a Five, and the fact that you don’t want the output features, I would say a Five definitely makes more sense.

The Port does give you more flexibility though on where to place your turntable. With a Five you need to have the turntable relatively close to the Five to make the wired connection. With a Port, you can position the turntable and Port anywhere in your house that has a power outlet and that is within wi-fi range or has an ethernet connection. The turntable connects by wire to the Port, then the Port communicates via Wi-Fi or Ethernet to the rest of your Sonos gear. 

If you aren’t aware of this already, your turntable will need a built in pre-amp or small external pre-amp to connect to either a Port or a Five as both are designed to receive an input at Line In level. Some turntables only output at Phono level which is unsuitable.

No you are spot on.  I always suggest that someone contemplating a Port just for the line in should seriously consider a Five.  Not a lot more money for massively more product.  The line-in functionality is just the same.

Thanks everyone! I’m familiar with classic turntable setup (preamps and all that) just not with Sonos. I’ll get the Five. 

It seemed so obviously better that I thought there was a catch or something I was missing, but it seems like the Five will meet all my needs. Thanks!