Shall I wait for the One to be replaced?

• 10 January 2019
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Beam for my living room and would like to add to the Sonos set up with the inclusion of a pair of Ones in the living room and bedroom.

In light of the recent news that Sonos is working on a new speaker, would it be better to wait before adding to the current set up? In other words, does the community anticipate the One being upgraded in the next 6-12 months?

Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Badge +1
I agree. I have a beam and a pair of ones, but I think I will shift them out and replace them with a set of Play 1s, since the ones have airplay 2 capability and I can stream directly from the phone, bypassing the slow sonos App
The play1s sound the same and are cheaper, they will do the same job
Sonos did really well with the Sonos One in the T3 awards too last year. See this link...

https://www.techradar.com/news/sonos-wins-big-as-apple-topples-samsung-at-t3-awards-2018

The Play-3 still looks like it might be updated next, but no one knows until Sonos announce these things.

I personally would buy the older, but much cheaper, Play-1 for surround purposes, as the Alexa part of a Sonos One is disabled when it’s bonded to a Beam anyway.
Userlevel 6
Badge +19
I'm with JohnB. Can't see the Sonos One being revised for years to come. They might be considering a Play 3 replacement as that is the oldest model, and is no longer for sale in many places but the One or even Play 1's are a safe bet.
Hello,

I have recently purchased a Beam for my living room and would like to add to the Sonos set up with the inclusion of a pair of Ones in the living room and bedroom.

In light of the recent news that Sonos is working on a new speaker, would it be better to wait before adding to the current set up? In other words, does the community anticipate the One being upgraded in the next 6-12 months?

Thank you!
Hi. None of us has a clue about that. But given Sonos' usual product cycle I would say a new One was a long. long way off. But then, I haven't got a clue.

I would personally save some money and buy Play:1s anyway for surrounds with the Beam, but there are pros and cons to that. (The main pro is saving money.)