Shall I wait for the One to be replaced?

• 10 January 2019
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Beam for my living room and would like to add to the Sonos set up with the inclusion of a pair of Ones in the living room and bedroom.

In light of the recent news that Sonos is working on a new speaker, would it be better to wait before adding to the current set up? In other words, does the community anticipate the One being upgraded in the next 6-12 months?

Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Beam for my living room and would like to add to the Sonos set up with the inclusion of a pair of Ones in the living room and bedroom.

In light of the recent news that Sonos is working on a new speaker, would it be better to wait before adding to the current set up? In other words, does the community anticipate the One being upgraded in the next 6-12 months?

Thank you!
Hi. None of us has a clue about that. But given Sonos' usual product cycle I would say a new One was a long. long way off. But then, I haven't got a clue.

I would personally save some money and buy Play:1s anyway for surrounds with the Beam, but there are pros and cons to that. (The main pro is saving money.)
Userlevel 6
Badge +19
I'm with JohnB. Can't see the Sonos One being revised for years to come. They might be considering a Play 3 replacement as that is the oldest model, and is no longer for sale in many places but the One or even Play 1's are a safe bet.
Sonos did really well with the Sonos One in the T3 awards too last year. See this link...

https://www.techradar.com/news/sonos-wins-big-as-apple-topples-samsung-at-t3-awards-2018

The Play-3 still looks like it might be updated next, but no one knows until Sonos announce these things.

I personally would buy the older, but much cheaper, Play-1 for surround purposes, as the Alexa part of a Sonos One is disabled when it’s bonded to a Beam anyway.
Badge +1
I agree. I have a beam and a pair of ones, but I think I will shift them out and replace them with a set of Play 1s, since the ones have airplay 2 capability and I can stream directly from the phone, bypassing the slow sonos App
The play1s sound the same and are cheaper, they will do the same job