Setup

• 5 October 2017
  • 2 replies

Hi guys,

I purchased a Play 1 two months ago and love it. Following the latest announcements, I have some questions regarding future purchases that I'd like some input on.

My original plan (when news about the Sonos one leaked) was to get that and pair it with my current play 1. Then, later on I wanted to get the Playbase, another play 1 for my bedroom, and the sub, in that order.

I'd like the option of voice control as I have Lifx lights as well, and my girlfriend gets annoyed sometimes that she has to open an app and some of the features seem cool.

So my question is, what should my next move be?
a) Buy another play 1 + an echo dot (I'm assuming that will work?) = $330
b) Buy a play 5 for my living room with a dot, and move the current play 1 to my bedroom = $700
c) Buy 2x Sonos one's, pair them in my living room, and move the current play 1 to my bedroom or bathroom = $600

- Option A is affordable and would provide the flexibility to move the play 1's to surround speakers when I eventually get the Playbase.
- Option B seems a bit out of place but my thoughts were that I wouldn't end up using surrounds that much (lounge against a wall and a lot of our television watching is news/stuff that doesn't need surround sound) so that the play 5 would act solely as a music player in the living room and the playbar/sub combo would be without surround sound.
- Option C I like because I don't have to buy a dot (slightly cheaper but more importantly, not another device in the home). Also, if my plan is to have a total of 3 play 1's/sonos one's in the home, this is actually cheaper than option A, despite being more expensive upfront (which is a small issue, I'd prefer to spend over time, particularly if the difference is negligible). Alternatively, I could just get 1x Sonos one for the moment, with the intention of getting another later. They couldn't be stereo paired but I guess that's not the end of the world.

More information: I live in a small one bedroom apartment. I listen to music more than I watch the television generally, although still watch a considerable amount of films/Netflix/normal television. I don't need the system to be loud as I live in an apartment complex close to other people. I generally listen to my current play 1 on between 25-35.

Thanks a lot for any input. I'm a tech donk and having access to this community has helped immensely!

Tim

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

You costs are off. The Sonos One is $199.99. The Echo Dot is $49.99 ($129.97 for a 3 pack). This is in US $. Unless you are using another currency?

Anyway, either would work just fine as far as Alexa functionality. Though if you place units without microphones in a room that is out of reach of the mics on the Sonos One, you would need a Dot in that room.
You costs are off. The Sonos One is $199.99. The Echo Dot is $49.99 ($129.97 for a 3 pack). This is in US $. Unless you are using another currency?

Anyway, either would work just fine as far as Alexa functionality. Though if you place units without microphones in a room that is out of reach of the mics on the Sonos One, you would need a Dot in that room.

I'm in Australia.

Yeah good point.