Question

Setting up Sonos in home

• 3 August 2019
  • 5 replies

Buying a house that currently has Sonos and the owner is taking the amps so I plan to create what he had.. more or less.

I plan to use one of the Amps to power the speakers in the TV room; to power both sound for the TV and Sonos in-home audio.. not at the same time. My question is.. if I buy a Sonos One.. can that sync with the speakers if the TV is playing and play the audio from the TV onto the One?

Thanks!

5 replies

I'm not sure I understand the question.

If you buy a Sonos One, can it sync with what speakers?

It might be more helpful if you were to lay out how you expect to set up your system, and what speakers already exist, and how you are going to use them.

For instance, if you're planning to use a Sonos Amp, then I'd expect the TV to be sending an HDMI-ARC signal (the TV does have HDMI-ARC, correct?) to the Amp, which would then power two "front" speakers, and create a virtual center channel for you. Then a pair of Sonos Ones could be "bonded" to the Sonos Amp to create surround speakers, or you could get a second Sonos Amp to power already existing speakers as surround speakers.

There are no TVs that can send sound directly to a Sonos One. Any TV would need to send a signal via either optical (TOSLINK) or HDMI-ARC to a Sonos sound bar, or a Sonos Amp.
Not really looking to pair the One for surround, but mainly keep it in the kitchen so we can hear the TV while we’re preparing dinner without taking out the kids eardrums by turning that room up really loud.
So, when you group another "room" with the "room" that the TV is connected to, i.e. the Sonos One, there will be a slight delay in the sound, around 70ms. If you can't hear both sources at the same time, it's fine. I did this frequently in my kitchen, so that I could hear football games while cooking.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
So, when you group another "room" with the "room" that the TV is connected to, i.e. the Sonos One, there will be a slight delay in the sound, around 70ms. If you can't hear both sources at the same time, it's fine. I did this frequently in my kitchen, so that I could hear football games while cooking.

Regarding the input delay. I have my TV connected to a Play: 5 then grouped to 2 'rooms' and I've never had any noticeable delay.

Delay can be dependent on your connection speeds and line-in setting with-in the Sonos app, When I'm home I will check what settings I am using..
Agreed. The minimum delay is 70Ms, which is what Sonos uses to buffer the signal so it can be played in synchronization across any/all rooms, but depending on your line in settings, it can be more.

Some people seem seem to be more sensitive to this delay than others. I’m one of those. But as long as I can’t hear both “rooms” at the same time, it makes no difference. For me, standing in the doorway between the two rooms was disturbing, but I could be in either room itself, and not hear the other.