Question

Setting up 6 Speaker Zone in new home

• 22 August 2020
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I recently purchased a new home looking for some information on setting up a sonos home system. I recently purchased 6 Pair Sonos speakers and it would go through 6 zones in the house. Living room, Den, Kitchen, Backyard, Sun Room & dining room.  I currently have the Sonos Amp as well. Ive been reading you can put 2 pairs to one amp, but do I need to have a sonos amp for each pair? meaning if I want to listen to music in zone 1 and 4, then change to 2 and 3, or do I need to purchase an amplifier and sonos connect? just a bit confused on setup. Any Help is appreciated

Thank you!

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @AntDogs.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

We can always visit our website to double-check the Sonos Amp specification, limitation, feature, and functionality. I would like to advise if we can check out the speaker’s specification if they meet the Sonos Amp’s power which is 125 Watts per channel @ 8ohms. Regarding the Zones/rooms, I would like to inform you that for each zone to play music individually, they need their individual Sonos Amp. 1 Sonos Amp up to a maximum of 6 speakers (3 each side (left and right)) = 1 room playing music. If you want 2 rooms playing different music at the same time at any given point in time that means 2 separate Sonos Amps so that each room have their own Sonos device that powers the speakers to generate their individual music through the Sonos App. Grouping and ungrouping rooms on the Sonos app allow you to play songs (in sync) all through your entire Sonos system. You can always call our sales team @+18006802345 option 4 to get the best deal and recommendation that may fit your needs and requirements.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

thank you so much for the reply. what if I want I dont need different rooms playing different audio but want to choose what zone I would like to play them in? do I still need an amp to control? I basically would like to change any zone with the same music source and choose what room I would like to.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @AntDogs.

Thanks for the immediate response.

Here are additional pieces of information that might help.

• If you do not want different rooms with different music, you only need one Sonos Amp that can power 125 Watts per channel @ 8 ohms. However, using only one Sonos Amp means they all play simultaneously at the same time. Cannot choose which speakers connected to one Sonos Amp would play music at any given point in time since all of the speakers connected to one single Sonos Amp would play all together.
  • If you want to choose only what room/s to play music on, You need more than 1 Sonos Amp so you can choose which rooms it only plays which will also give you the option to either simultaneously plays one music on all rooms or music different music on different rooms via grouping or ungrouping on the Sonos Amp. (1 room = 1 Sonos Amp)

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,