Seriously considering a Sonos set up and need some guidance.

I have an older television (Panasonic Viera from around 2009) and a record player that I would like to play through the system along with streaming music. What would be a best set up for this?

This is what i'm thinking at the moment:

A Sonos AMP. To connect the record player and television (through the HDMI Optical Adapter) to the system.

A Sonos One.

A Sonos Play:5.

Is the Play:5 a good speaker for both the television and living room music?

As of right now I would use the Sonos One as a "free agent" speaker to move throughout the house before I add anymore speakers.

Does this set up make sense? Also open to any other set up that may make sense. Looking for any guidance based on y'alls experience.

Thanks in advance.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21
NEINNYCO wrote:

I have an older television (Panasonic Viera from around 2009) and a record player that I would like to play through the system along with streaming music. What would be a best set up for this?

Hi NEINNYCO

See my answers in Bold.

This is what i'm thinking at the moment:

A Sonos AMP. To connect the record player and television (through the HDMI Optical Adapter) to the system.

Connecting the Panasonic to the Sonos Amp will require that you purchase a HDMI cable and the Sonos Optical HDMI adapter. See it here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/225?language=en_US

Ideally you would connect a set of 3rd Party wired speakers to the Amp to provide the TV audio

The TT would connect via RCA line -in to the Sonos AMP. You would select the Sonos Amp as the Auto Play room within the Sonos App.

A Sonos One.

Good choice as a stand-alone speaker and also provides Alexa voice assistant.

A Sonos Play:5.

Excellent choice as a stand-alone music speaker. You could set it as the Auto Play speaker for the TT but not simultaneous with the Sonos Amp speakers. You would have to decide on one or the other.

Is the Play:5 a good speaker for both the television and living room music?

I would not recommend the Play 5 for TV.

As of right now I would use the Sonos One as a "free agent" speaker to move throughout the house before I add anymore speakers.

This is doable

Does this set up make sense? Also open to any other set up that may make sense. Looking for any guidance based on y'alls experience.

You have my answers and opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10
I would not recommend trying to connect the Television and the Turntable to the same bit of Sonos kit. I don't know about the newer Amp, but the other products with line in connections are not so good at having more than one bit of kit attached.

The Amp is fine if you want to use some passive speakers you already own for the TV, but why not look at a PlayBar / PlayBase / Beam? Any option is fine, it all depends on your personal preference.

You can connect the turntable to the Play:5 instead - I am not sure if that would be inconvenient from a location point of view. As AjTrek1 said, I wouldn't use the Play:5 for TV sound - there is likely to be a delay between the TV picture and the Sonos Audio from the 5.

The nice thing about Sonos is that it doesn't matter where your turntable is connected, you can listen to it or something else on any of the speakers.
Thank you both for your insight and recommendations. I really appreciate it.

I'm thinking it probably doesn't really make sense to get an Amp unless I am connecting passive speakers to the TV. I thought it would be a good connector to play both the TV and record player through all the Sonos speakers, so I am glad I asked.

What I am thinking now, thanks to your suggestions and guidance.

The television that's connected directly to a Playbar/Playbase/Beam. (connected through a HDMI to Optical adapter or just optical)
The record player connected to the Play:5
And two Sonos Ones for "free agent" type speakers for either surround sound or to move to other rooms in the house.

Does this make better sense?

Thanks again.
Userlevel 3
Badge +10
Sounds like a good typical setup, you should have no problems there.
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
Your idea will work. Just remember that bonding the Play 1’s as surrounds then undoing the process and back again is a real pain IMO because the process is not as simple as grouping and ungrouping.

Cheers!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings