Question

Selling on eBay, can buyer access my Trade Up credits?

• 12 July 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have six legacy devices and for all of them I opted for the Trade Up credit via my Sonos account. I did this yesterday, so no damage to the environment and all devices should keep working.

One of the credits I already used, with five remaining in my Sonos account.

My question: if I sell the Sonos components, is there any way for the buyer to link the component to their own Sonos account and claim the upgrade credit? Either directly, or by contacting customer services.

One obvious solution would be to either wait until I’ve used up all the Trade Up credits in my Offers section, or to trade in and sell one by one. However, if I look at the Trade Up/Upgraded section of my account, it shows “Credit Available” for five devices and “Credit Redeemed” for one. The redeemed one isn’t the first device that I traded up, and I’m not ready to sell that particular device on eBay.

My worry is that a buyer would use up the discount. Is this possible, or do I need to wait?

As a follow-up, how do I unlink devices from my account before selling anyway? Obviously I will factory reset the unit itself.

As for the eBay listing itself, I intend to make it clear that the discount code has been used but the unit isn’t bricked. I don’t expect them to be worth much but I’d rather not throw them away. Should I obscure part or all of the serial numbers?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @larsj.

Thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

For trade up inquiries and other after-sales inquiry, our sales team can definitely answer all of your questions.

By clicking this link contact us.

Perhaps also some of the community members might provide their own opinion about this.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Badge

I thought the whole idea of trade-up credit was Sonos bricked your old component so you could not longer use it after trade up.  I know everyone got in a big up-roar over this so IDK if Sonos changed this policy but I know they bricked one of my ZP100’s as part of the trade-up process.   IF you sell your old components on EBay and they are bricked the buyer is going to be pretty pissed off when they find they can’t add the device to the system because it’s been “retired” from service.    Go fill up the landfill with your old components because I believe that’s all they are good for once you do the trade up.   Ideally find an electronics recycler who might do something more environmentally responsible…..

I thought the whole idea of trade-up credit was Sonos bricked your old component so you could not longer use it after trade up.  I know everyone got in a big up-roar over this so IDK if Sonos changed this policy but I know they bricked one of my ZP100’s as part of the trade-up process.   IF you sell your old components on EBay and they are bricked the buyer is going to be pretty pissed off when they find they can’t add the device to the system because it’s been “retired” from service.    Go fill up the landfill with your old components because I believe that’s all they are good for once you do the trade up.   Ideally find an electronics recycler who might do something more environmentally responsible…..

Hi.  You are way out of date.  That policy (which was, indeed, indefensible) was fairly quickly dropped.  The OP is free to sell his devices with a clear conscience.

To @larsj .  There have been a fair number of changes to this scheme, but I believe that once a trade up credit has been claimed, it is not transferable, even if it has not been used.  If the trade up credit has not been claimed by the original owner, then I believe it transfers to the new owner.

I wouldn’t treat that as gospel.

You can’t unlink the devices from your account but they will disappear when a new owner registers them to their system.

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/tradeup.

This is the UK process - I don’t know if it varies by country.

One of the FAQs seems to support what I said about transfer of credits.

It may be worth noting as part of your sale that the upgrade discount has been leveraged. I’d imagine there are those out there who might be looking to get a device that it hasn’t been used for that purpose. There’s only one discount available per device. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/tradeup.

This is the UK process - I don’t know if it varies by country.

One of the FAQs seems to support what I said about transfer of credits.

Thanks for your replies, that’s very helpful. I happen to be in the UK but for other readers you’d want to check the FAQs.

It seems a bit of inference is needed here and it would be nice for Sonos to confirm how customer services would respond if the new owner contacted them saying they’ve “lost” their account/offers and asking for them to be reinstated

For trade up inquiries and other after-sales inquiry, our sales team can definitely answer all of your questions.

By clicking this link contact us.

Thanks for the link, unfortunately it’s not working for me.

The “Talk With Us” icon “does nothing” (unless you look in the developer tools):

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'querySelectorAll' of undefined

at HTMLDocument.<anonymous> (head.js:1)

at f.dispatchEvent (aura_prod.js:12)

at f.value [as dispatchEvent] (aura_prod.js:37)

at f.clickChatButton (trac_DisplayContactInfo.js:4)

at callHook (aura_prod.js:37)

at aura_prod.js:12

at bo (aura_prod.js:12)

at ln (aura_prod.js:12)

at aura_prod.js:12

at aura_prod.js:4

(anonymous) @ head.js:1

dispatchEvent @ aura_prod.js:12

value @ aura_prod.js:37

clickChatButton @ trac_DisplayContactInfo.js:4

callHook @ aura_prod.js:37

(anonymous) @ aura_prod.js:12

bo @ aura_prod.js:12

ln @ aura_prod.js:12

(anonymous) @ aura_prod.js:12

(anonymous) @ aura_prod.js:4

t @ aura_prod.js:4

e.$$lwcEventWrapper$$ @ aura_prod.js:1

and the “Other Contact Options” icon literally does nothing.

It may be worth noting as part of your sale that the upgrade discount has been leveraged. I’d imagine there are those out there who might be looking to get a device that it hasn’t been used for that purpose. There’s only one discount available per device. 

Completely agreed, I always like to make sure the buyer is fully informed.

I figured that the usage (or not) of the trade-up discount would be a factor in the bid price, but I don’t anticipate the final price to increase by as much as the discount I expect to get, given that I plan to use it. If I wasn’t expecting to use it, any extra bid for the unused discount would be a bonus.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

^^ sorry for the format of that post, it gets a bit messed up, and if I try to edit it’s even worse.

Click on ‘Contact us’ at the bottom of this page.