Question

Second play 5 or sub?

• 19 December 2016
  • 14 replies

I have a play 5 in a fairly large room- I am asking advice on buying another play 5 and making a stereo pair or getting a sub woofer? Any advice appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Choose between stereo sound and bass to decide buying sequence - no one else can decide that choice for you. I would get the second 5 first.
I am having same situation. I am having p5g2 but as soon as I turn the volume up bass decrease and sound become pinchi.
I want to upgrade to p5 pair + sub by next year mid.
In mean time what should I buy?
Sub or p5. Want room full of sound and bass
(sorry for my English)
I never heard a gen 1 pair with a Sub. But I can say that a gen 2 pair is substantially superior to a gen 1 pair when neither has a Sub. You are more future proofed with gen 2. 5GHz wireless, built in microphones, option to add Sub later still there.
I can't tell you which you would prefer and how to spend your money. Buy from Sonos, try it, return it for full refund if you don't think the improvement is worthwhile.

But if you were contemplating getting a Sub, the net cost of selling a gen 1 and buying two gen 2s would not cost any more.

Does that not beg the question as to which would deliver the better sound though?! I suspect it may be the old gen 1 pair + Sub - without much personal experience in support of that, I have to say.
The gen 2 is so much better than the gen 1 that i think your first step should be to unload the gen 1 on ebay, not buy a second one. Get at least one gen 2. That in itself will improve your listening experience.

But if you were contemplating getting a Sub, the net cost of selling a gen 1 and buying two gen 2s would not cost any more.
Thanks, so the new one will be Gen 2 , will this be ok with the existing Gen 1?

Unfortunately, you will not be able to pair the two in a stereo pair, for that you would need to locate a Gen 1 via eBay.
Thanks, so the new one will be Gen 2 , will this be ok with the existing Gen 1?
December 2012 would be the generation 1. Gen. 2 didn't come out until 2015.
How do I know if my Play 5 is gen 1 or 2 pls as I understand that it is important that the second one should be a match for the first one? I bought the current Play 5 in Dec. 2012.
Many thanks for the advice, second play 5 it is then!
I concur. Play:5, then Sub when funds allow. The small drop off in bass much less a minus as the increased stereo imaging is a plus.
Another reason to get a 5 is that this also will allow you to also expand music to another room on occasions.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Ideally, a pair of Play 5s and a sub. But that's a big investment. I'd start with a second Play 5. The bass is very good on these and you may not miss the sub, depending on what kind of music you are listening too.
I'll assume it's a gen 2 P:5. In which case for me you'd get the better listening experience from a second P:5. I would say it's a complete no-brainer but I expect someone will come along and disagree.

Stereo separation, double the oomph across the whole frequency range and enough bass to make the Sub unnecessary