Replacing an older amplifier in theater room

• 6 February 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi all. Thanks for the community, always helpful. I've looked at similar questions, but I'd like to hear answers to my detailed case.
My upstairs has a TV with playbar/sub/p1s for surround. It works well, and I only need the tv/cable remote to control it all. My downstairs/theater room has the big tv, higher quality wired unpowered 5 channel speakers attached to amplifier, and some peripherals like xbox/dvd/apple tv. I have a connect there currently to bring it into my sonos system. I am tired of the complexity of it, including 5 remotes. I can't send music there from my app from another room, because the system has to be turned on by a local remote. I'd love to have the speakers directly hooked to a new sonos amp, and everything comes through the tv. That would give me one remote simplicity, access to sound from the sonos app etc. How can I delete my large denon amplifier, and replace with sonos equipment. 2 rear wired speakers, powered sub, center speaker, 2 tower speakers (powered). Looks like only one speaker input on the back of the new amp. Thanks so much in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
How can I delete my large denon amplifier, and replace with sonos equipment. 2 rear wired speakers, powered sub, center speaker, 2 tower speakers (powered). Looks like only one speaker input on the back of the new amp. Thanks so much in advance!

In an HT setup, the amp will power the 2 front speakers with a 'phantom' center channel. You can then use your powered sub or a Sonos sub. For rears, you can use Sonos speakers as you do for your other setup or a 2nd Sonos amp.

That will simplify your setup at a minimum cost if $900 (Amp+ 2 P1s), but if control is your biggest concern, not wiring, then I'd recommend looking at possibly just switching out your receiver with something that has better controls. There are many Onkyo/Pioneer receivers that 'work with Sonos' and will allow you to switch inputs and volume from the Sonos app.

https://www.onkyousa.com/sonos/

There is probably a model that could further reduce down those 5 remotes. Or possible look at something like the logitech harmony remote.
thanks. So a separate amp for the rears is able to be recognized as the surround speakers of my overall setup? And I get a second amp for the front speakers, and delete the center speaker? I assume I could then plug all peripherals through the tv, and not have a big amplifier/receiver in the mix. Then the tv remote could access all, and all sound would come via the tv, to the sonos amps, regardless of input? Would there be any real benefit to getting a newer large amplifier from onkyo then? Thanks so much!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
thanks. So a separate amp for the rears is able to be recognized as the surround speakers of my overall setup? And I get a second amp for the front speakers, and delete the center speaker? I assume I could then plug all peripherals through the tv, and not have a big amplifier/receiver in the mix. Then the tv remote could access all, and all sound would come via the tv, to the sonos amps, regardless of input?

Yes to all of the above.

[quote=davepwiebe
Would there be any real benefit to getting a newer large amplifier from onkyo then? Thanks so much! [/quote]

2 Sonos amps is going to cost you $1200, and you surely can get a single onkyo receiver for cheaper than that. The other difference would be that Sonos only does dolby digital 5.1, which may not be available from all your inputs, and your TV might not passthrough the audio signal. Since you already have a playbar, you're probably familiar with this. If you went with an onkyo receiver, you likely would get DTS, dolby digital +, possibly Atmos as well.

I have the Sonos amp myself and am very happy with it. I'm not trying to discourage you from this plan, just trying to give you objective options.