Question

Recommendations for upgrade

• 14 December 2017
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi all

I am about to upgrade my system but am unsure what to get. I have a stereo pair of Play 5's (gen1) and am considering getting a sub. Would it be better doing this or selling the Play 5's (gen1) and replacing with Play 5's (gen2). This will be a one off upgrade so if I went with the Play 5's (gen2) a sub would not be bought. What do you think would give the best sound?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, mourneviewace. I'm glad you asked but this is the kind of question that has no one correct answer. I can offer my own opinion, however. I would personally rather have 2 x Gen 2's over 2 Gen 1's and a SUB. There's a few reasons for this: I'm not necessarily a bass-junkie and live in a flat... More the point, the PLAY:5 Gen 2's are more expressive in the mid-range, which I find to be more important. Again, this is all personal perspective and YMMV. I'd be interested to read what others have to say.
Not an easy question; and one does not have to be a bass junkie to appreciate what a Sub brings to the experience and the improvement it will make to the sound from even the old 5 units by taking over bass duties.

Ideally, this is best decided by listening to both at home after getting a Sub and a new 5 pair on returnable basis and letting your ears help you decide on what to keep.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Many thanks for your replies. After a bit of research it seems both setups would be great without a big difference between them. I have decided to pair a sub with my existing white Play 5's with silver grills which blend in with my room as I see that the new 5's have black grills on the white speakers so don't look as good in my opinion.