Question

Recommend an audio setup

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Guys,

based on the attached floor plan, would you recommend two play 1's,.one play 3, one play 5 and on which position? Bare in mind i will purchase the Playbar to connect to my TV later on.

Thanks

Neven

37 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Neven,

Welcome to the Sonos community, One of the many great things about Sonos over other sound systems is you do not have to decide where a speaker goes and wire it in and live with it there, with Sonos all you need is a AC outlet. Sonos allows you to physically move you speakers around the house as you like for different needs (like a party out back or dinner at the table). When you add more speakers to your home you can group them and ungroup (in the software) them again as needed depending what is going on. I have 9 Sonos speakers and I am still moving them around the house and outside depending on what is going on.

To answer you question, Your setup looks great. While you can group and play as many Sonos speakers you may have, you can only "stereo pair" the same model speakers. Meaning you can stereo pair two Play:1 and two Play:3 but you cannot stereo par one Play:1 and one Play:3 together. You can group together a Play:1 and a Play:3 and they will sound great.

It is best to have one of your Sonos products (Speaker, Boost, Bridge or Connect) hard wired to your router so you can use SonosNet

Have a look at this post for me tips.

https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/tips-and-tricks-and-sonos-101-6730704

Les
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Les,

sorry I wasn't clear on this. It's basicly paired P1's vs single P3 or P5. Not all of them 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Neven,

Ok well it is really what your budget is. Two Play:1s are a good start but a Play:5 gives you audio jack in and head phone out. The nice thing is you can keep adding as you go and it will all work together. Two Play:1s and a Sub are awesome.

Les
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
So, I guess two play 1's would be better than one P3? P5 is to expensive, I'm affraid. And I don't need audio in or head phone out...

Thanks

Neven
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Two Play:1s is a great start and you will get the feel of what Sonos can do. Again if it is not convenient to plug in one of the Play:1s to the router then get a Boost so you are on SonosNet.

Warning!! Once you start with Sonos it is hard to stop buying more as they are very addictive. LOL :D

Les
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Les,
I know it could become addictive. My initial idea was to get Playbar only to handle TV, movies and music but simply can not afford it right now. So, I need something to "test" Sonos out and calm myself down. Maybe a single P1 would suffice, but as you can see, I allready suffer from Sonos sindrome :-)

Neven
Neven,

I recommend starting with a pair of PLAY:1's.

If you are in a construction phase, and there is space above the kitchen cabinets opposite the seating area, make sure that there is a power outlet available above the cabinets because you are likely to want a pair of PLAY:1's up there at some point.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hi Buzz,

Construction is finished. The possible placement is on the TV shelf. The problem is, I can accommodate only one play 1 in the shelf or both on top of the shelf. Maybe I'll wall mount it. Can I put it right next to each other and NOT stereo pair it, just to get louder volume? Or it would be a sin not to stereo pair them?

Neven
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I have a similar size living room, and I made s lot of trials with Play1 paired and play 5 . While the play 5 has deeper bass, my preference went for 2 play 1 because of the stereo effect. It really make a great difference (to me) between stereo and mono. On top, as you have a large room divided in 3 areas, it could be nice long term to have a more spread sound distribution ( rather than play very loud in a corner to have sound in the opposite one ) .

Think how well you could scale up in the future. If and when you add a playbar the 2 existing play 1 will become surround for TV but additional music source located a few mwter from the playbar for music.....

Final l step, if one day in the future you will buy a Sub, he will upgrade the bass notes all over your three living areas ......
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Yeah, i think so to. Although I'm not an audiophille by any means, I know how to spot quality sound. Tell me, Does the 1's in stereo create the singers voice in between them (in center) ?
But, as you have said, it's more likely that I'll place them further apart, maybe even on different room zones, just to spread the music.

Neven
Neven,

Yes, a pair of PLAY:2's will create a stereo "image".

If you start with a pair of PLAY:1's you can experiment with various locations. If you can't find a livable arrangement for a pair in the large room, use one PLAY:1 in a bedroom. After PLAYBAR arrives, you can move a PLAY:1 into the bedroom and Bond it into a pair. Or designate a PLAY:1 as a "portable" and used it outside on the deck (assuming there is a power outlet). The possibilities are endless.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Yeah, i think so to. Although I'm not an audiophille by any means, I know how to spot quality sound. Tell me, Does the 1's in stereo create the singers voice in between them (in center) ?
But, as you have said, it's more likely that I'll place them further apart, maybe even on different room zones, just to spread the music.

Neven
The main voice will be "in the center" but the sound of the different instruments and choir voices will not come from one single point, but like they were in front of you in a parallel line . Sound will not be "flat" , it will be "3D".

If you position them on top of the TV shelf one each side, you will have a good stereo from the couch and anyway a good effect also in the kitchen/dining. If you decide to separate them , it will be enough to unpair them, so they will become two "zones" in the same room, you can either play separately or group them on the fly, and, in this last configuration, you will be able to play the same song with different volume levels, so that you can adapt better to the room shape/zone position.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
I would definitely recommend the two PLAY:1's in a Stereo Pair. This is what I use on a daily basis, paired with a SUB also. It sounds hugely better than a single PLAY:3 or PLAY:5. Keeping in mind that a pair of PLAY:3's or PLAY:5's would sound miles better again but for what you want the two PLAY:1's will deliver. - The stereo effect on the PLAY:1's is quite something. It still impresses me more and more everyday. It really does give off that '3D' effect like the instruments are on a virtual stage in mid air, positioned as they would be in real life!

As it was mentioned above already, the best thing about the PLAY:1's (and PLAY:3's) is that once you do get the PLAYBAR you can just put them at the back of your room and pair them to the PLAYBAR as left and right surround speakers. This is great because it also allows the PLAYBAR to play louder, wider, and sharper! SUB just goes that extra leap further and adds (literal) house shaking bass to the mix!

Just think of the PLAY:1's as the start of a potentially killer home theatre system! I started out with just the two PLAY:1's with plans to one day get the PLAYBAR, knowing I could still use those PLAY:1's in the living room to add to the sound even more! I finally got that PLAYBAR and it left me absolutely no regrets starting with what I did!

Best regards!
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Hi Kmjy, I fully agree ! I just bought the playbar last week end , adding it to the 2 play1 and the Sub ! Amazing !

However, considering as you said how effective is the stereo effect with 2 play1 paired, I dream to can use with the TV for the front 3 Play:1 , one of which should have optical in and 5Ghz trasmitting capabilities: they will outperorm the soundbar if used as left , center and right channels !!
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
So good right! :)

The Stereo Pair is best for music. It does pretty awesome with Line-In content but I think the PLAYBAR still outperforms two or three PLAY:1's in terms of wideness and soundstage. Personally my PLAYBAR sounds very, very good for virtualisation. When I'm playing video games the sound effects are crazy. I can hear depth and dimension all around me. I've never added PLAY:1's to mine for surrounds but I would think that would do even better.

When you add the two PLAY:1's to the PLAYBAR it pretty much turns the PLAYBAR into a 3 channel speaker, dedicated for only the left, centre and right channels. So this again gives you an amazing sound stage when combined with those surrounds.

SUB just shakes the house down and I love it!

Best thing about that 5GHz network is that you can plug any Ethernet enabled device into the PLAYBAR, SUB, or PLAY:1's and it will receive a solid Internet connection over that network! 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Neven
The main voice will be "in the center" but the sound of the different instruments and choir voices will not come from one single point, but like they were in front of you in a parallel line . Sound will not be "flat" , it will be "3D".

If you position them on top of the TV shelf one each side, you will have a good stereo from the couch and anyway a good effect also in the kitchen/dining. If you decide to separate them , it will be enough to unpair them, so they will become two "zones" in the same room, you can either play separately or group them on the fly, and, in this last configuration, you will be able to play the same song with different volume levels, so that you can adapt better to the room shape/zone position.

Thanks! nice explanation!

Neven
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
I would definitely recommend the two PLAY:1's in a Stereo Pair. This is what I use on a daily basis, paired with a SUB also. It sounds hugely better than a single PLAY:3 or PLAY:5. Keeping in mind that a pair of PLAY:3's or PLAY:5's would sound miles better again but for what you want the two PLAY:1's will deliver. - The stereo effect on the PLAY:1's is quite something. It still impresses me more and more everyday. It really does give off that '3D' effect like the instruments are on a virtual stage in mid air, positioned as they would be in real life!

As it was mentioned above already, the best thing about the PLAY:1's (and PLAY:3's) is that once you do get the PLAYBAR you can just put them at the back of your room and pair them to the PLAYBAR as left and right surround speakers. This is great because it also allows the PLAYBAR to play louder, wider, and sharper! SUB just goes that extra leap further and adds (literal) house shaking bass to the mix!

Just think of the PLAY:1's as the start of a potentially killer home theatre system! I started out with just the two PLAY:1's with plans to one day get the PLAYBAR, knowing I could still use those PLAY:1's in the living room to add to the sound even more! I finally got that PLAYBAR and it left me absolutely no regrets starting with what I did!

Best regards!

I'm afraid the playbar will be my 2nd and last purchase 🙂 Still, maybe sonos releases smaller "baby" sub, this one is out of reach for most of us...

Neven
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I am installalling playbar+2play1 +sub. Very pleased.
I tried the 2 play 1 plus Sub to compare. Being able to position the 2 play1 separate by 2,5 mt I had a better stereo effect than with the playbar. (Of course with the 2 play one as rear full stereo even better. )

That's why I feel the 3 play 1 would be interesting : even more separation !
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
For all of you which helped! (and others), I have made a quick presentation of various scenarios. Must admit that 2 P1 look like they are pumping so much more and wider sound in comparison with rathed " boxed" single P3. Which option gets your vote?
Neven
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I would not choose the play 3 because it will be "too closed" in the shelf : Best will be n 2 plan , you put a small piece of rubber in the back of each play 1 to have them slightly directed towards the sofa.....
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
I would not choose the play 3 because it will be "too closed" in the shelf : Best will be n 2 plan , you put a small piece of rubber in the back of each play 1 to have them slightly directed towards the sofa.....

no way, it will tip over 🙂 only thing I'll have to put something higher in the middle of the shelf to create a visual triangle? Maybe P5? LOL

Neven
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Definitely option 2. With the two PLAY:1's on the very top of the shelf, maybe center them with the TV if you want. But you will get the absolute best stereo effect if you have them at the same height. 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Noooooo! Just found out that I can get p5 for the price of two p1. Help
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Yes we know it ! I have a play :5 and I have 2 play1 , I did try in different rooms and decide that the trade off deeper bass or sound stage much much wider , was in favor of the two paired play one.

Consider also th e 2 play one will be compatible in the future with the play bar , the play 5 will not.

Finally imagine a future scenario of 2 play 5 (800 us$) . As alternatives, 2 play 1 + Sub or 2 play 1 + playbar will cost 1000 but will perform better. The combination 2 play1 + Sub will have better bass than the 2 play 5 , while the combination of 2 play1 + soundbar will give you sligtlhy inferiro bass but surround for your TV and more distributed sound for music.

I still vote for the 2 play 1 as a start !!
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
What If It would be my only Sonos purchase, maybe i'll get some cheap sounbase for the TV. You still think two play 1's are better than single p5?

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings