Primary bedroom audio

I have a bedroom that is 15’ x17’ with a peaked ceiling 12’ high.

Only audio will be utilized in this room. Should I just put one Sonos 5 on a stand at one wall of this room or would I be better served by a different set-up?

7 replies

For a main bedroom, I would personally choose to put two One/One SL’s (stereo paired), or maybe if affordability/environment allows, perhaps even two ‘Fives’ (stereo paired, in a vertical orientation) for that size of room.

Each speaker ideally positioned out in front (equilateral triangle setup), one on either side of the main listening position, with the speakers set at/around head-height (when in bed), if practicable. 

Userlevel 7

I would consider a Five or a pair of Ones (or One SLs) set up as a stereo pair.

Thanks guys for the replys. What I am getting is that you guys think 2 devices would be worthwhile, stereo paired. Just whether I would be willing to spend as much as two 5’s would cost?

Or is it possible two 5’s would just be too much?

Userlevel 7

Thanks guys for the replys. What I am getting is that you guys think 2 devices would be worthwhile, stereo paired. Just whether I would be willing to spend as much as two 5’s would cost?

Or is it possible two 5’s would just be too much?

One Five or a pair of Ones would be sufficient, but if you have the budget, a pair of Fives would sound incredible.

You can always test out these different options and return the speakers you don’t want.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

A lot depends on your listening position versus speaker placement. If you are going to be able to set your system up for a good stereo image at your primary listening position I’d recommend a pair of speakers.

A single five will be plenty in that space unless you really want it loud. The simulated stereo mode on the Five will sound a bit better, more live (to my ears) than mono. We had this in our bedroom prior to getting a Beam there.

A pair of Ones or One SLs would sound pretty decent too, and much less expensive. They might be good even if you can’t get a stereo image, just because you could place them to even out the volume level in a wider area.

A Sub would likely be too much to add to the Ones in that space but the rumored mini-Sub might be a good option if you find the low end weak.

There is an advantage in going the One route; start with just the single unit to see if it suffices as it well may if close to the listening area. If not and if stereo placement of a pair is doable/desired, add a One.

And if that One pair is felt to be bass light - although I doubt that will happen - add the Sub. I can't see the room needing more than that in any circumstance.

A 5 pair + Sub is almost certainly likely to be an overkill, and a One pair + Sub is very close to a 5 pair for sound quality.

Also this step by step approach will allow you to wait for the referred mini Sub, assuming it will bond with a One pair the way the present Sub will.

Thx all I appreciate you weighing in!