Question

Port or Amp for Airplay 2 (ATV3), PS4 and turntable

• 31 December 2019
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I posted this on home theatre, but didn’t get any replies, so maybe this is a better place to post.

So I’m still looking to get a Port or Amp to add Sonos to my living room during the sales and before the prices go up. I have Sonos Ones in the bedroom and kitchen.

I currently have a Apple TV3, PS4 and turntable connected to a stereo amp and speakers, with the ATV3 or PS4 going through a DAC. I have an old TV without HDMI Arc or optical/digital outputs. I don’t want to replace the TV yet, but will in the future, as which point I’ll make sure it has HDMI Arc (and possibly Apple TV/Airplay built in). 

Here are the possibilities I’m thinking of. Any suggestions? I wish the Port and Amp had more inputs.

In both cases, I’d keep the current speakers. 

Sonos Port

PS4 through DAC to Stereo Amp

Turntable to Stereo Amp or even direct to Port

Stereo Amp to/from Port

ATV3 through AirPlay 2 to Port

Will there be a delay/sync issues when watching video with the PS4 and/or ATV3? I know that the Port is not made for TV, but will it add a delay that is not present when using PS4 and ATV3 to the stereo amp?

Sonos Amp

PS4 digital out to Amp HDMI with adaptor

Turnable to Amp (TT has built in preamp which can be bypassed)

ATV3 through AirPlay 2 to Amp

Would there be sync issues? The stereo amp could be re-purposed in this case, although I’d need to get more speakers first.

With this Amp option, I could use the Sonos Ones for surround sound, but this would not be the usual set-up.

I’ve also toyed with the idea of getting the Beam for the TV, and keeping the turntable separate, but I’m not convinced of the Beam for stereo music.

Am I missing anything? Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

my experience using Sonos Port (or connect before it) from any audio source from video has been mediocre at best (both on volume and delays).  With the Amp or Beam the issues are solved as i can use an HDMI switch to get the source(s) into the Sonos echo-system, then I can transmit to other Sonos units or even port to get to a 3rd party amp.