Answered

Playing vinyl and TV audio surround

• 15 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi everyone.

There is a lot of discussion around this and it sounds like my setup won’t work.  I’m new to Sonos, so I’d really like to go with Sonos, so I want to make sure this won’t work before moving on.

My intention is to setup Sonos Amp for both my Samsung Frame TV and record player.  The room has 4 surround in-wall dumb speakers.  To make this cost effective, I’d like to keep these speakers and replace the other 2 pairs of ‘in ceiling’ speakers in the house with architectural speakers to play selectively digital music as different rooms.  I’d like to use the existing dumb ceiling speakers for my living room with the TV and record player.  

Am I correcting in understanding that because I am setting up as surround for the TV, the amp could not be used to play vinyl out of the dumb surround speakers because the line in is disabled?

As a workaround, could the second amp be used as the line in for the record player?  Could it then play the vinyl on the surround setup through the other amp powering the surround speakers?  If not, if I got another 4 architectural ceiling speakers for the TV room, would that work to play both vinyl and TV?

Thanks for your help everyone.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 15 November 2021, 13:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Thanks to you both @AjTrek1 @Ken_Griffiths for your help!

Thanks @AjTrek1 

Could my same Sonos Amp powering the 4 speakers for the TV also be used to play the record player from the same speakers when the TV is off?

Thanks

Yes, the main Amp that does the TV front channel audio can also play your line-in record player audio, even when the TV is powered off. 

Userlevel 7

Hi

Few more basics regarding the Sonos:Amp…

Connecting 4 speakers to a single Sonos Amp will not allow you to assign 2 of the 4 as a different room/zone. All speakers will play the same source. However you can use the line-in (as mentioned by @Ken_Griffiths) tto connect a turntable with a built-in pre amp or use a separate pre amp between the turntable and Sonos Amp. 

Thanks @AjTrek1 

Could my same Sonos Amp powering the 4 speakers for the TV also be used to play the record player from the same speakers when the TV is off?

Thanks

Amongst other ‘mix & match’ options, yes - two Amps can be used in a Sonos HT setup. The one Sonos Amp is linked to the TV itself, it will not have its rear ports disabled and is used for the front lef/right/center TV channels. It’s line-in can be used for connecting a preamp/turntable etc. 

The second Amp is ‘bonded’ over a 5Ghz ad-hoc wireless connection to the first and plays the two rear TV channels and it’s ports are disabled, so it cannot be used to connect a pre-amp/turntable to that Sonos Amp.