Question

Playing my Play 5 speakers through a new OLED G9A Sony TV 65'

• 20 October 2019
  • 5 replies

Can i play my two Sonos Play 5 speakers through my OLD TV (Sony G9A Bravia 65’)?

5 replies

Sorry, I mean can I play my OLED TV audio through my Sonos Play 5 Speakers?

Heh. You took the wind out of my sails :)

Probably not. The line in on the PLAY:5 speakers is an analog input. I don’t think that Sony has an analog output that you could plug in to the Sony. And, on top of that, the delay involved with an analog input on a Sonos, which is around 75ms, makes lipsync problematic, if you’re at all sensitive to that.

There’s a reason why Sonos makes products designed for connection to TVs. Their other products just aren’t designed for that use. I’d be looking into one of Sonos’ soundbars to use with the TV set.

Thank you Airgetlam - Bruce . You answered my question

Cheers

Damon

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Looking at product specs I think your television has a 3.5mm stereo minijack headphone output. That you can easily connect to the line in of one of the two Play5s with a male/male cable. If so, you should definitely try how you like the sound of the TV if you already have the stereo pair before buying a soundbar. I use this set-up for my TV (+sub) and the sound is phenomenal. No noticeable lip sync issues and it blows the sound of my Beam which I have in another room out of the water.

Thanks flyingpadrejr I’ll definitely try that.

Many thanks

Damon