Answered

Playbar Optical Cable

• 28 November 2017
  • 9 replies

How long is the optical cable that is included in the Playbar box? Trying to determine whether I need to purchase a longer cable for my installation. THANKS!
icon

Best answer by Keith N 28 November 2017, 20:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Arsenal4185: Welcome to the Community. The PLAYBAR comes with a 5 ft. / 1.5m TOSLINK Optical Audio Cable. For more information, check out our product guide here.
Thanks so much! I guess I’ll have to purchase another optical cable, then. My new TV will be wall mounted, with all cables going through the wall to the baseboard, then back up to the PLAYBAR on the cabinet. I’ll need about a 10-12 foot optical audio cable. Glad I asked!
Don't waste money on high end stuff like Monster Cable. It's a digital signal, either the cable carries it, or it doesn't. I tend to stick with RCA, which I find inexpensive and it's carried at my local electronics warehouse (Fry's). I can spend $15 to $20 dollars on a cable, when Monster often wants $80 to $100 for the same thing.
Awesome...thanks for the advice...I think I can pick up the RCA brand cables at my local Staples - that will be MUCH more cost-effective than purchasing the unnecessary Monster Cables elsewhere. Much appreciated!
Huh, never been to my local Staples for cables before. But yes, you'll save a bunch over Monster. They look nice, and have good connectors, but the RCA's work just as well. When I get serious about cables, I usually go to Bluejeanscables.com, they've got excellent stuff for a good price, and are somewhere up north, in Portland or Seattle, I think. But the RCA stuff works, and since you're only messing with it basically one time, to set it up, it's perfect.
OK final question - should the cable be “male-to-male”?
Always 🙂 You can't check because you haven't received your PLAYBAR yet, but if you look on the back of your TV, you'll see that it's a female connector. It'll be the same on the PLAYBAR.
Perfect - I owe you one (if not more)!
Just pass it on to the next person who needs help here, that's more than enough for me.

Oh, and enjoy your Sonos 🙂