Question

Playbar disappointment.

• 12 September 2020
  • 4 replies

So I started using Sonos about a year ago when IKEA started selling.  I had been a fan (conceptually) and really enjoyed how well it adapts.  I added a couple more from IKEA then this week I purchased a used Playbar.  I was very excited to get it setup (which was a snap) and then very disappointed that it isn’t compatible with Airplay2.  
The problem now is where to go next.  Playbar is an excellent soundbar but it lacks base (no surprise).  I need base but I’m tempted to sell the Playbar and opt for only the AirPlay compatible components.  Any suggestions?

4 replies

The Arc is what I replaced my PLAYBAR with, and it was developed / designed recently enough to have the AirPlay 2 capability.

Although before the Arc came out, I would AirPlay 2 to a Sonos One, and then group that room with the room that had a PLAYBAR in it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You can still AirPlay to the IKEA speakers if they are not used as surrounds, then Group them with the playbar.

Yes, the IKEA speakers work great with AirPlay, it’s the soundbar that won’t...

The Arc is what I replaced my PLAYBAR with, and it was developed / designed recently enough to have the AirPlay 2 capability.

Although before the Arc came out, I would AirPlay 2 to a Sonos One, and then group that room with the room that had a PLAYBAR in it. 

Thanks Bruce!  I was hoping that someone had figured out a workaround (with a dongle device) .  I get the grouping option but that only works from Sonos (or google home) and I’m searching for a way to do it with AirPlay.  Arc looks awesome and I want the sub as well but I’ll wait for the price to come down a bit.  Thanks again!