Question

Play1 vs Sonos One Speakers paired with Sonos Beam

• 17 December 2019
  • 2 replies

I just received the Sonos Beam and wanted to add either two Play1's or two Sonos One speakers to it to make a surround sound experience. I understand that the biggest difference is that the Sonos One can be activated with Alexa. However, if I already have a Sonos Beam that can be used with Alexa and if the speakers are connected to it, then does it matter? Is there a large difference is sound quality? Anything else I should be thinking about before making a purchase? A pack of play1's are considerably cheaper, that's why I ask. Any advice would be appreciated!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I just received the Sonos Beam and wanted to add either two Play1's or two Sonos One speakers to it to make a surround sound experience. I understand that the biggest difference is that the Sonos One can be activated with Alexa. However, if I already have a Sonos Beam that can be used with Alexa and if the speakers are connected to it, then does it matter? Is there a large difference is sound quality? Anything else I should be thinking about before making a purchase? A pack of play1's are considerably cheaper, that's why I ask. Any advice would be appreciated!

Alexa would be disabled on the Ones when used as surrounds with the Beam.  So aside from the Play:1 being an older design, it will be fine.  If you want a newer version and still save money, you could get two One SL’s.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I have One SLs and Play 1s, I’d recommend the One SLs for new purchases over the Play 1s as they are more flexible if you decide to reshuffle things in the future.