Play Bar vs Beam. Missing functionality

• 15 November 2018
  • 7 replies

I realize there are dozens of topics on Playbar vs Beam. I've reviewed many but wanted to clarify a few items specific to my situation. I'm looking at entering the Sonos game. New build home with large open concept combined Kitchen, Dining Room Great room. Two sets of ceiling mounted speakers in kitchen and dining room each hooked up to a sonos amp on a rack in the basement. We intended to add some form of sound bar to the TV in the great room. I'll likely get some form alexa enabled device, or perhaps later in 2019 a google assistant enabled device when that becomes supported. Somewhere down the line I expect in time we will likely add 2 sonos 1's for surround to the sound bar but this might not be for a while.

Given the size of the room other posts are leading me towards a Playbar over the Beam. I'll appreciate the improved sound quality which i understand will be prevalent in midrange sounds and really help TV voices and vocals not get drowned out by the room size. Would you expect any difference with integration of the ceiling speakers?

What I'm really wondering is what functionality will I lose out on with the Playbar and Alexa device vs Beam alone? Clearly the cost will be more but I'm willing to make that investment up front if it makes sense. Will the two items function exactly the same as the Beam but with better sound quality?

The Playbar is becoming an aging device. Do people foresee any issues for future proofing or does the integration of other speakers overcome that challenge. As an example, I see the playbar is optical only instead of HDMI. Has this caused concern for anyone? Had there been any information that an updated version of the playbar will be released in the future?

If there are any other features / concerns that you think might be applicable please let me know.

Thanks for the help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I realize there are dozens of topics on Playbar vs Beam. I've reviewed many but wanted to clarify a few items specific to my situation. I'm looking at entering the Sonos game. New build home with large open concept combined Kitchen, Dining Room Great room. Two sets of ceiling mounted speakers in kitchen and dining room each hooked up to a sonos amp on a rack in the basement. We intended to add some form of sound bar to the TV in the great room. I'll likely get some form alexa enabled device, or perhaps later in 2019 a google assistant enabled device when that becomes supported. Somewhere down the line I expect in time we will likely add 2 sonos 1's for surround to the sound bar but this might not be for a while.

Given the size of the room other posts are leading me towards a Playbar over the Beam. I'll appreciate the improved sound quality which i understand will be prevalent in midrange sounds and really help TV voices and vocals not get drowned out by the room size. Would you expect any difference with integration of the ceiling speakers?

No, there would not be a difference. In either case though, the audio from your TV will play slightly delayed when playing through the ceiling speakers. It will give you an echo effect. When playing music, you can group all the speakers togheter with no issue.

What is the square footage of the room (great/kitchen/dining) and the general layout? Getting the ceiling speakers may be overkill. I think you'll definitely want the bigger playbar regardless though.

What I'm really wondering is what functionality will I lose out on with the Playbar and Alexa device vs Beam alone? Clearly the cost will be more but I'm willing to make that investment up front if it makes sense. Will the two items function exactly the same as the Beam but with better sound quality?

With the playbar, you will need to 'target' your voice commands to play music. "Alexa, play Jimmy Buffet in the Great Room". You can leave out the italics part with the Beam. This difference could change in the future.

With the Beam, you will be able to give voice commands to turn on/off the TV and switch inputs through voice control. This doesn't work on every tv though, and the features can be replicated with certain TVs that have their own Alexa skills, Logitech harmony, Alexa Fire TV Cube, and maybe others I don't know of.

Also, the Beam is an Alexa enabled device, not an echo. This means there are some Alexa features that will work on echos, but not on Beam. Making phone calls is a good example. I personally don't miss the difference in features, but that's obviously subjective. You can always turn off the mic on the beam and use an echo in the room if you prefer.

The Playbar is becoming an aging device. Do people foresee any issues for future proofing or does the integration of other speakers overcome that challenge.

Yes and no. I think the playbar will be a good product for years to come and being part of an integrated system does help. However, newer products do have better hardware and are more likely to get feature improvements. In my opinion, it's still best to buy the right product for the room soundwise instead of buying based on the differences in product age.

As an example, I see the playbar is optical only instead of HDMI. Has this caused concern for anyone? Had there been any information that an updated version of the playbar will be released in the future?

Most TVs still have optical connections, and cheap devices that can split optical out of HDMI are pretty easy to get if need be. There has been nothing stated by Sonos regarded an updated version of the playbar. Lots of speculation by users though.

If there are any other features / concerns that you think might be applicable please let me know.

Sonos has a partnership with Sonace passive speakers (in ceiling/outdoor) with speakers that are likely to be released around the time the Sonos amp is released. Sonos has said you can use Trueplay with these speakers. You may want to hold off on buying other speakers to see if the Sonoace speakers are a better option.

Also with the Sonos amp, you can power 2 pair of speakers if you want. If you don't think your going to want to play different audio.in the two rooms, you might want to think of just getting one amp. You can get in wall volume control or a speaker switch with volume control you want. 2 amps is still the better option if budget isn't a problem.
Userlevel 7
Hi LANCE1313

Congrats on your new home!!

I’ll answer your questions by stating what you have asked with my response below it.

Two sets of ceiling mounted speakers in kitchen and dining room each hooked up to a sonos amp on a rack in the basement
I assume you mean 4 speakers total (i.e. two in kitchen and two in dining room). If you want to save money you could run all four with one Connect:AMP. If you want to have separate zones you’ll need two Connect:Amps

Given the size of the room other posts are leading me towards a Playbar over the Beam. I'll appreciate the improved sound quality which i understand will be prevalent in midrange sounds and really help TV voices and vocals not get drowned out by the room size.

I have a Beam in a similar setup that you are anticipating in your new home. The link is an opinion I wrote on the Beam, it may clarify a few things for you: https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/beam-vs-playbar-playbase-my-opinion-6814520

Would you expect any difference with integration of the ceiling speakers?

Use of ceiling speakers as surrounds require exacting placement over the seating area to be effective. With the current Connect:AMP you’d wire both the Sonos home theater speaker and Connect:Amp to either your router, a single network switch, or to each other, using an Ethernet cable. IMO that’s a bit messy (but theres is another solution…more on that later)

The Playbar is becoming an aging device. Do people foresee any issues for future proofing or does the integration of other speakers overcome that challenge. As an example, I see the playbar is optical only instead of HDMI. Has this caused concern for anyone? Had there been any information that an updated version of the playbar will be released in the future?

The Playbar IMO is a solid performer. I own two, If Sonos introduced a Playbar with the same features of the Beam I wouldn’t run down to nearest store straight-away to purchase one as a replacement. I’d think about it…but probably not right away.

As far as obsolesce that’s only relative to me if the Playbar stops functioning. I just purchased a 2018 LG Oled TV with all the bells and whistles and opted to keep the Playbar vs investing in another Beam (which may have worked).

Sonos doesn’t share their plans for new product introduction. That said I would be surprised to see a Playbar with Beam functionality in the not so distance future. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Soon to be released in Febuary 2019 is the new Sonos Amp. It will be more powerful than the Connect:Amp and offer HDMI_ARC, AirPlay2 and Alexa voice control when wirelessly connected with Amazon Echo or Alexa-enabled devices! The cool feature about HDMI_ARC is that it will allow direct connection to TV and therefore any A/V source (or internal app like Netflix) connected to the TV will pass audio to 3rd party speakers and or a Sonos Sub or 3rd Party sub. You can employ a second Sonos Amp to drive 3rd party wired speakers as surrounds or you can use Sonos speakers as surrounds. In either scenario communication to the surrounds will be wireless.

This link gives more info on Sonos HT setup and options: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/support/home-theater

I hope this helps with your decision, Please post back with additional questions!

Cheers!
Thank you both for the comprehensive replies. I should have clarified the ceiling speakers will be used for music and not for TV. I was aware of the lag for TV and the orientation would be inappropriate. Also, now that you remind me I believe we only have a single connect:amp that will power both sets since they will always play the same thing.

Room Orientation is a L shade with a 20"X12" Greatroom 20"X12" Kitchen with a 14"X14" Dining room as the top of the L. All of these are open and essentially one large room.

I wasn't aware of the New Sonos Amp. It's a product I'll need to keep my eyes on. I have an early 2000's home theatre system that still has phenomenal sound but unfortunately it just predates the inclusion of HDMI which is becoming more and more of a hindrance for connectivity. Perhaps swapping in a Sonos Amp with my existing speaker setup will be something to consider.

Again, thanks.
Userlevel 7
You may want to consider separating the dining area and kitchen with separate amps. By doing so even if you group the zones you’ll have the ability to control the volume of each zone separately.

I’d recommend the Sonos Amp for the great room connected to your TV via HDMI which will allow you to use your current front speakers (L/R). The center speaker if you have one would be left out of the mix and the L/R would create a phantom center. You could also use the sub if that is part of your early 2000 setup.

You could use the Alexa feature of the Sonos Amp to send music to the Kit and Dine area by voice as well as control lights and other smart things.

Just FYI....Cheers!
Thank you both for the comprehensive replies. I should have clarified the ceiling speakers will be used for music and not for TV. I was aware of the lag for TV and the orientation would be inappropriate. Also, now that you remind me I believe we only have a single connect:amp that will power both sets since they will always play the same thing.

Room Orientation is a L shade with a 20"X12" Greatroom 20"X12" Kitchen with a 14"X14" Dining room as the top of the L. All of these are open and essentially one large room.

For reference, I have a similar sized space. I use a playbar with play:3 as surrounds (placed against the kitchen wall) and a sub. Nothing specifically for the dinning room, but the sound caries in there just fine, and I think mine is a little smaller than yours. it's worth noting that you can configure your surround speakers to play full stereo with a music (non-TV) source. The play:3s aren't exactly an option anymore, but Sonos Ones are not too far behind. And as AJTrek stated, you can use an amp (Connect:Amp or Sonos Amp) for surrounds. You could try out this option and see if it works for you. If not, then it's not a big deal to separate it into 2 different rooms and add Sonos Ones later for surrounds, as you originally planned.

I wasn't aware of the New Sonos Amp. It's a product I'll need to keep my eyes on. I have an early 2000's home theatre system that still has phenomenal sound but unfortunately it just predates the inclusion of HDMI which is becoming more and more of a hindrance for connectivity. Perhaps swapping in a Sonos Amp with my existing speaker setup will be something to consider.

If your're happy with your existing passive speakers, it's not a bad option at all. It might even make sense to go that route initially, and if a playbar 2.0 comes out that you prefer, you can use the Amp for speakers in a different room or outdoors.
You CANNOT AirPlay with Playbar even if you have Sonos ones as your back speaker in the 5.1 setup. This itself is a huge no go for me. Too bad no one actually mentioned this to me when I got mine. Would have gotten the base 😞
You CANNOT AirPlay with Playbar even if you have Sonos ones as your back speaker in the 5.1 setup. This itself is a huge no go for me. Too bad no one actually mentioned this to me when I got mine. Would have gotten the base :(You could either replace the Sonos Ones with Play:1’s and use the Sonos Ones elsewhere, OR simply buy another Sonos One ...and then go onto 'group' your PlayBar Room with a Sonos One and AirPlay to it that way. It is a worthwhile option, plus it gives you 'Speaker(s)/Alexa/AirPlay' elsewhere around your home.

It's sometimes worth forking out that little extra to get a great deal more added benefit.

I added a Sonos One to my Household, which sits in the Hallway and I have set its volume limiter to 1 in its Room Settings... it is used as my AirPlay device and I group it with different (legacy) Sonos speakers in the rooms around my home to provide them all with AirPlaying capability.

It's sure to sound great too through your PlayBar Home Theatre setup. So many more audio sources you can play, via the iOS Airplay supported Apps.