Play 5 or Playbar with sub?

• 2 October 2019
  • 1 reply

So I'm moving into a new apartment in desember, and I am thinking of getting the sonos playbar and two sonos one sls. for the tv-area. Now I am wondering if I should get a Sonos sub to pair with the rest or if I should get a play 5 instead. I host parties once in a while so I need something that can fill my living room with music and also get pretty loud.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

The playbar, Sonos One SLs, and sub can be bonded together to form a single room. The Play:5 can't. It can be grouped to play music in sync or play music separately, but it won't be bonded. With TV audio, grouping the play:5 with your bonded speakers will result in an echo effect as the Play:5 will lag slightly behind. Really, the Play:5 makes sense to use a different room in your apartment, but not in the same room with your other speakers.

So, I'd definitely recommend the sub over the play:5 for your scenario. That said, apartments typically have thin walls, and the sub will likely bother the neighbors when played at high volume. I would probably get the playbar + sonos one SLs first and add the Sub later if needed.