Question

Play 5 connected to turntable and television

• 19 November 2016
  • 13 replies

I'm going to purchase a pair of Play 5s for my home audio setup and want to connect both a turntable and a television. Is it possible to use the line-in on each speaker (i.e., one source coming from the TV and one from the turntable)? Will I have delay issues if I'm using a line-in for the TV? If so, is there any way to avoid it?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
You will have a slight audio delay using a line-in from your TV.
Wow. Just wow!

baindrain, welcome. Please ignore the post above, there is much wrong with it. To answer your question, yes both line-ins on the pair of Play:5s can be utilized. Yes, there will be a minimum 75 ms delay on the TV line-in. Whether you notice or not depends on you and how in sync it is in the first place.

Now to correct the nonsense above:

Built-in preamps are not rare at all. If your turntable does not have a preamp, you need an external preamp to connect it to the Play:5, there is no need for a Connect:Amp, that has nothing to do with a preamp. Lastly, Autoplay means a designated room will automatically play when the line-in senses input, it has absolutely no effect on the delay. The delay is 75 ms when set to uncompressed, more when set to compressed.

AjTrek1, I know you mean well, but you are posting info that is completely wrong. Perhaps you should do a little more research before posting.

ETA: The above post was mercifully edited of the incorrect info.
Thanks! My turntable has a built in preamp so I'm ok there. How do I get rid of the delay from the TV?
You can't in what you are planning to do. What you can do:
1. Muting the TV speakers is a must - the resultant echo if you don't will be very distracting.
2. Test things out before buying. Many find that the delay is too small to be a real distraction while watching TV.
Remember though that this is a very good way to get high quality sound for music, better than Playbar, and excellent results from TV if the delay doesn't distract you. So definitely worth the effort involved in trying it out.
What about using a digital to analog converter? Does that work? If so, what is the recommended way to do it?
A D-A converter wouldn't mitigate the delay. It's inherent to the Sonos system. However it shouldn't worsen it and you're likely to get better quality from the TV by taking its digital feed.

Set the TV to output PCM, and just use any small DAC to go between the TV and the PLAY:5. They're very inexpensive these days.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I'm using my Play 5 to output sound from my Sony TV. I use the method outlined above - TV outputs PCM with a DAC in between the TV and Play 5. I have to say that I rarely notice the sound delay. I was going to get a soundbar, but to me, it seemed expensive for what it does and I hate having such a bulky device sitting in front of my TV (it's on a unit and the shelves aren't wide enough to accommodate the soundbar).

I wish I could output sound from multiple devices to a single Play 5 via line in though. I'd love to get a turntable.
I wish I could output sound from multiple devices to a single Play 5 via line in though. I'd love to get a turntable.
You can, if you simply use an audio selector switch. A turntable will require a phono preamp, either integrated into the TT or separate.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
You can, if you simply use an audio selector switch. A turntable will require a phono preamp, either integrated into the TT or separate.

I have such a switch. This has three inputs- record player, CD player and one for iPods. Works perfectly. In my case the leads from the switch feed into a Connect, but would work equally well with a Play 5.
Badge +2
MrKeith, which switch do you use? The ones available on Amazon and eBay all seem quite bulky and don't appear to fit with the Sonos look. Also, any suggestions on DACs?
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
P1rate_chris,

I bought the HQ 3 way audio switch from Amazon. It's currently £12 49 on Amazon UK.

It is quite small and compact, fits nicely on top of my Connect without any overlap at all. It's pure black, lines are very straight. Inputs and outputs are all on the back panel, so don't spoil the look.

I've not had any problems with it at all.

No suggestions on DACs though.
Badge +2
Many thanks MrKeith!