Answered

Play:1 Versus Sonos:One (Gen1 or Gen2)

• 14 March 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge
I am slowly working on getting my House outfitted with Sonos Speakers. I currently the the Beam and that works fine for my Current Usage. I thinking about what to do for the Rear Surrounds. I now there are essentially 3 of the smaller speakers which I am thinking will be fine for my particular setup. I am just getting thoughts on if there would be any reason for me to get the Sonos:One (Gen1 or Gen2) over the Play:1. Since this will primarily be for surround sound usage and some music, whenever it gets to that point when I can get my family to actually use that aspect of them more commonly.
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 14 March 2019, 22:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge
That is what I was thinking, I just figured I would get a second opinion. Thanks for the information
Userlevel 7
Hi tcochran1

Misfit is correct. When using the Sonos One (Gen1 or Gen2) with the Beam...Alexa in the Sonos One is disengaged. That is not the case when bonding the Sonos One to a Playbar or Playbase (Alexa remains active). For future reference as you expand with Sonos in your home the link has a chart comparing the Sonos ONE (Gen1/Gen2) and the Play:1. Enjoy your Sonos!

https://en.community.sonos.com/what-to-get-228989/sonos-one-gen2-gen1-and-play-1-product-comparison-chart-6821684

Cheers!
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
If you have a Beam already, save some money and just go for the Play:1's. No need for 3 Alexa devices when the Beam will be handling the commands. Plus you can Airplay to the Beam, so you're not losing out on any functionality; providing the sole purpose of these Play:1 are to be surrounds.