Play 1 or play 5

• 2 August 2018
  • 1 reply

Hey guys I have the following setup

Lounge
Playbar sub and 2 x play 1

Kitchen
2x play one

Here is the question I am going to put more speakers upstairs this wil definitely be the new beam in the master bedroom however for the other rooms including office I will need another 3 speakers.
So question is do I buy 3 x play 1 or 3 x one or replace the two play 1s in the lounge with play 5s and buy an extra play one to finish off

Hope that makes sense

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I think at this point, you're better off getting a Sonos One, rather than a PLAY:1, if that's part of the equation.

If the two PLAY:1s are set up as surrounds, I wouldn't bother to replace them with PLAY:5s. I don't think the real benefit of the PLAY:5 shines when it is used as a surround speaker. But I would be tempted, in your case, to put a PLAY:5 in the kitchen, and then move those two speakers (PLAY:1 or Sonos Ones? It can't be both :)) upstairs for use.

I'm a bigger fan of either Ones or PLAY:1s in stereo pairs than I am with them singly, although I have 2 or 3 set up singly myself. Just sounds better as a stereo pair. I like separation.

At the end of the day, though, it's up to what sounds good to you. I can tell you how I feel, but it's your ears that need to be satisfied, not mine. 🙂