Play 1 + Echo dots vs Sonos One

• 12 January 2019
  • 12 replies

Badge +1
I'm trying to decide what I should get.

Some background:
I already have a Google home mini. I would like to use voice command for the new Sonos speaker I will get. I'm debating between One and Play 1 because I have heard the Sonos One doesn't seem to have the best mic to pick up your voice and Echo dot seems to be superior in that regard.
However, a big negative thing with Echo dot and Play 1 is that I always have to say: Play X on "living room" etc. Haha I know its not the end of the world. 😉 But I guess when I have more Sonos devices that's something I need to do any way? (specify which speaker to play from) Unless I want the whole house to play in a group?

1) Play 1 and one Echo dot
Or another route
2) Sonos One

What would be the pros and cons for alternative 1 and 2?
I guess what I'm trying to say, what are the disadvantages to go route 1 except that you have two devices(more extra space)?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Hi.
In the Alexa app u can assign default speaker to your Dot or several Dots. That removes the need for you say: Play X on "living room". You can go with only: Play X

Also, with a native Alexa (as with a Dot) you will have Voice Routines. Not yet released to Beam/One. And trust me, you want Routines 🆒
Go for a dot and Play:1
Some streaming skills, like The Jazz Groove and Radio Paradise, will not play via voice command from the Dot to the Play:1s. You’re limited to the TuneIn version, if available. They will play on the Ones via Alexa; RP even plays in FLAC, uncompressed and at much higher bitrate than TuneIn.
Badge +1
Hi.
In the Alexa app u can assign default speaker to your Dot or several Dots. That removes the need for you say: Play X on "living room". You can go with only: Play X

Also, with a native Alexa (as with a Dot) you will have Voice Routines. Not yet released to Beam/One. And trust me, you want Routines 🆒

Thanks! This was very helpful! I just wanted to double-check. With the amazon echo dot version 2 I can set a sonos play 1 as a default speaker?
Badge +1
Some streaming skills, like The Jazz Groove and Radio Paradise, will not play via voice command from the Dot to the Play:1s. You’re limited to the TuneIn version, if available. They will play on the Ones via Alexa; RP even plays in FLAC, uncompressed and at much higher bitrate than TuneIn.

I didn't know these things, I usually just use Spotify and youtube though as my steaming sources so it should be fine then if I go with the dot and play 1?
Hi.

Thanks! This was very helpful! I just wanted to double-check. With the amazon echo dot version 2 I can set a sonos play 1 as a default speaker?

I only have experience with Dot 3 gen, but do a google for it. Pretty sure this is software-thingy, so 2nd gen should also be able.
Yeah, when I found out this I went heywire on dot’s. Now all my old Sonos plays «on voice command» 🆒
Badge +1
Hi.

I only have experience with Dot 3 gen, but do a google for it. Pretty sure this is software-thingy, so 2nd gen should also be able.
Yeah, when I found out this I went heywire on dot’s. Now all my old Sonos plays «on voice command» 🆒

Hahaha your last comment just made me laugh and smile. Thank you a ton for clearifying this. I will doublecheck about Dot 2 and the default option.
Just a big thanks for taking of your time. This forum rock! 🙂
Th Alexa Groups feature lets you set any generation Echo device as the Alexa device. Then you can set the preferred speaker(s) to any of your Sonos units.
Badge +1
Th Alexa Groups feature lets you set any generation Echo device as the Alexa device. Then you can set the preferred speaker(s) to any of your Sonos units.

Thanks for that confirmation! 🙂

I didn't know these things, I usually just use Spotify and youtube though as my steaming sources so it should be fine then if I go with the dot and play 1?

Yes, all the major services that are supported by the Echo will work to the Play:1s. It’s the little guys, using the AudioPlayer interface, that won’t transfer, for unknown reasons.

I’m hoping the Google Assistant integration will be more complete, although these Mom&Pop stations don’t yet exist on Google Assistant, outside of TuneIn. I have to assume, now that Google has opened up a greatly simplified API, they will be soon.
Badge +1
Thank you for your information! 🙂
As I mainly use iOS controller devices, iPhone/iPad/AppleTV, I would personally opt just for the 'Sonos One', as its AirPlaying ability for dozens and dozens of IOS Apps (YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc.) outweighs the few missing Amazon Alexa features mentioned above.

I guess you can always add a dot into the mix too and change its wake word to 'echo' to give you the best of both worlds.
Badge +1
As I mainly use iOS controller devices, iPhone/iPad/AppleTV, I would personally opt just for the 'Sonos One', as its AirPlaying ability for dozens and dozens of IOS Apps (YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc.) outweighs the few missing Amazon Alexa features mentioned above.

I guess you can always add a dot into the mix too and change its wake word to 'echo' to give you the best of both worlds.

Good point about the Apple airplay! I don't have it at the moment but are thinking about getting it. Is it easy to combind with Google Chromecast? Basically can you have both at the same time without any issues?