Picking a soundbar

• 26 November 2020
  • 5 replies

I’m in the strange situation I have bought some Sonos equipment and not yet hooked it up.

I have two Sonos 1 speakers - 1 with mic, 1 without - and the cheaper soundbar.

The playbar was just too expensive and sounded like more than I need, I have a modest living room I’d guess is 200-250 square feet.

Now the playbar is on sale for a more affordable $500, and I’m wondering, would it be worth considering buying that and selling the cheaper one?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Craig234.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, I totally understand where you're coming from and I’m here to help.

May I suggest checking the Sonos Beam under the Sonos website.

They have a going sale that you can save $100 on select products through November 30, 2020.

Sonos beam cost right now as $299 original price is $399 and they now offer finance as low as $50/month

And the sound quality and performance are way much better, compare to the Sonos playbar.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Hi, the Beam is what I already own though I haven’t opened it yet.

So the Beam sound quality is better than the more expensive Playbar?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Craig234.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

With regards on the sound quality they are basically the same, the playbar has more thatn amplifier and tweeters than the beam.

But performance wise I’ll go with the beam.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Sonos Playbar

Sonos Beam.

OK, the first post said the sound quality on the Beam is “way better”, but the second “the same”.

What do you mean by performance being better?

I’ll be very happy (and a bit surprised) if the Beam is actually better. I assumed the playbar was better, though don’t know how much, and hoped it was mainly for larger rooms I don’t need.

The PLAYBAR is an older design, and has only optical as a connection method, however it is much wider in width, and has more built in speakers. The PLAYBAR is also no longer manufactured, but was the first Sonos sound bar. 

The Beam is a newer design, with all the knowledge gained in the years between when the two were designed, which also means better, newer electronics, including CPU and memory, and like better amplifiers for the speakers. It allows HDMI-ARC as a connection method, but isn’t as wide, so the sound field would reflect that. 

Both are excellent devices, when used appropriately. The only reason I replaced my PLAYBAR with an Arc was for Atmos, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the sound created by it. 

If your TV is bigger than say 42 inches to 50 inches, I’d suggest the larger of the two, for the sound field width. If not, I’d go with the Beam. 

There is not a night and day difference between the two devices, both work extremely well.