Overwhelmed with Great Room setup.

• 22 September 2020
  • 5 replies

I am in the process of doing research on expanding my current Sonos setup at my new home.  I started a thread here(https://en.community.sonos.com/what-to-get-228989/looking-for-help-with-sonos-system-for-great-room-6848177), but have left with just as many questions on deciding how to proceed.

The gist of it is I have a mostly open floor plan on my first floor.  The Family room has roughly 16 foot ceilings.  This is the room that we will be watching TV, entertaining, and listening to music.  I’d say we would be using the Sonos pretty much 50/50 between Music and TV.  

It seems that getting an ARC doesn’t make sense due to the ceiling height.  This leaves me with using the AMP with passive speakers for my Family Room to watch TV, and listen to music.  It also leaves me with a lot of questions on the best way to proceed for now.  My wife and I were leaning towards the Arc, or a soundbar for aesthetics, so the best solution to me seems to be in-wall speakers.  The couch is yellow on the floor plan below.  It is roughly 13 feet away from the wall where I would mount the TV.  

Now my questions:

• Is Amp + Subwoofer + In Wall Speakers the best option for the Family Room?  
  • Does anyone have any suggestions for In-Wall Speakers?  Sonance look great, but also come at a premium price
  • Would this setup perform as well as an Arc (if ceiling height wasn’t an issue)?
  • Any suggestions on resources that can walk me through how to install the In-Wall speakers?  Wire gauge, etc.  
  • Down the road, I might want to make the setup 5.1.  If I place the rears behind the couch, wouldn’t that “muddy” up the sound in the adjacent rooms when listening to music (if I’m in a different room)?  Are there any rear placement solutions that would allow the speakers to be “out of sight” and not mounted directly on a stand behind the couch?
  • I also have a One in my kitchen.  How would I "group” the speakers into zones?  I often like having the same music playing in the family room and kitchen

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @JStarr, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community and for your detailed post outlining your concern. Regarding your questions. Here’s what we can recommend.

1. Amp + Sub + In-wall speakers are great options for a Family Room. Also, having a 5.1 Home theater setup would be great.
  2. We do not recommend any specific brands because we want to promote and keep fairness with third-party partners. Hence we can wait for suggestions and recommendations from our Sonos community users. 
  3. This setup would work great. For the Arc, 16 feet ceilings are a bit high. 
  4. About suggestions on installing In-wall speakers, Making sure you have the right tools on hand helps ensure a smooth installation. You can check this link for guides on setup and installation tips I found.
  5. 5.1 Home Setup is what I can recommend for this setup. It may affect if there are speakers on adjacent rooms and how thick your walls are. But we can wait for suggestions from our Sonos community users for this one. 
  6. Are you trying to group your Sonos One with the other Sonos speakers or in-wall speakers in the Family room?

Let me know your thoughts with the advice above.

The Sonos community is always here to help.

Hi @JStarr, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community and for your detailed post outlining your concern. Regarding your questions. Here’s what we can recommend.

1. Amp + Sub + In-wall speakers are great options for a Family Room. Also, having a 5.1 Home theater setup would be great.
  2. We do not recommend any specific brands because we want to promote and keep fairness with third-party partners. Hence we can wait for suggestions and recommendations from our Sonos community users. 
  3. This setup would work great. For the Arc, 16 feet ceilings are a bit high. 
  4. About suggestions on installing In-wall speakers, Making sure you have the right tools on hand helps ensure a smooth installation. You can check this link for guides on setup and installation tips I found.
  5. 5.1 Home Setup is what I can recommend for this setup. It may affect if there are speakers on adjacent rooms and how thick your walls are. But we can wait for suggestions from our Sonos community users for this one. 
  6. Are you trying to group your Sonos One with the other Sonos speakers or in-wall speakers in the Family room?

Let me know your thoughts with the advice above.

Thanks @Simon B.  I want to make sure I understand the concept of “grouping”.  In instances when I don’t have the TV on, I’d like to be able to play the same music in the family room (theoretically for now we are talking about in-wall speakers, and potential 5.1 setup) and the kitchen.  

I might also want to use the Family room to watch TV with the Sonos setup, but listen to music in the kitchen.  

• Is that doable?
  • If I hook up a turntable to the AMP, can I use the in-wall speakers for the TV, but stream the turntable to the One in the kitchen?
  • I have multiple HDMI inputs used on my TV.  Would I be able to listen to any of them through this setup?  Any details on how to install?
  • Would this setup benefit from an addition One in the Kitchen to make it a stereo pair?  Is that doable?  
Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @JStarr, thanks for the update. About your questions, here's what I could suggest.

• Yes, it is doable.
  • About the turntable, line-in option, yes, it is possible. But not a dual purpose, No TV but turntable is on, or the other way around.
  • Yes, as long as the Sonos is connected directly to the TV, whatever the TV is playing, Sonos Amp will generate corresponding audio.
  • The stereo pair needs to be bonded using the Sonos App. Grouping zones on the Sonos app create double, not stereo pair.

You may use line in on a Sonos Amp even though you are connected to the TVbut you need to turn off the TV to listen to the turntable and group it using the Sonos App.

Keep me in the know with the advice above. 

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Thanks @Simon B .  

Am I running into the TV/Record Player Audio conflict due to the fact that they both are using the AMP?

• Would I be able to play a record throughout the speakers in my living room/kitchen, but watch the TV while listening to the TV through the TV’s speakers?
  • Can I listen to the TV through the 5.1 setup in the living room but stream Spotify to the kitchen?
  • Can I create a group of speakers that use the 5.1, and a stereo pair in the kitchen?  Or, can a stereo pair not be part of a group of multiple rooms?  
Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @JStarr, thanks for the update. Regarding your questions, here are my thoughts.

• Yes, you can enable the TV speakers again after you’re done and play music of the turntable on the Sonos Amp. To know more about turntables on Sonos, click here.
  • As long as they are not bonded as a surround on the 5.1 set-up and not connected to a single Sonos amp, then Yes, you can.
  • They can be grouped together to play the same song or music. You can check this link about Grouping and Ungrouping speakers on Sonos. 

Let us know what you have in mind with the advice above.