outdoor tv to sonos

Hi everyone,
we have newly installed outdoor speakers (with a Sonos amp and 4 Martin Logan speakers-2 rear with subwoofer and 2 front ) .
We also have an outdoor tv (cosmos) that we would like to connect to the speakers.
Our installers have put another Sonos connect to the back of the tv in a socket box (which is now sideways on the tv stand). It doesn’t seem right.

What is the best way to connect the sound from the outdoor tv to the Sonos system? I believe we also have an additional Sonos connect for the front speakers and a Sonos amp for the rear speakers and subwoofer. And currently another Sonos connect for the outdoor tv, which is outside in a socketbox, sideways. It just seems really odd. Please help.

I would ideally like to switch from tv audio to music easily and have the tv audio automatically switch on to the speakers when we turn on the tv. Currently we have to pick “line in” for the Sonos speakers, not like we do in our other tv inside with a Sonos Playbar. Can we not connect the tv directly to the Sonos amp? The outlets on the tv are audio out and hdmi. I don’t believe there is a digital optical output.

Thank you in advance

for your help!
Cat

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Great thank you so much!
yes both connection areas are weather rated as they have a panel that screw off and silicone where the cords come out from, so they are weather protected/rated there to the tv.
Will get in touch with Sonos directly as well. Thank you so much for your help!
Userlevel 7
Hi AjTrek1,
Thank you so much for your help! Is the Sonos Connect okay outside in a socketbox, turned sideways, as in the original photo? Or are you saying none of them except those sonance speakers are ok...
Also, do you know if there is a long weatherproof 3.5mm input cord that is weather rated for the outdoors that is ~50 ft (or if we can order one from Sonos?). I would much rather have the Sonos connect indoors if possible. Any suggestions for this connection would be appreciated! We could have it inside the kitchen and then it would only be at most a 15 ft cord.
Thanks again! Have a great weekend!

The Sonance speakers are the only product that is rated for outdoor use. BTW Sonance is a partner of Sonos meaning Sonos does not manufacture or warrant the product. It's more of "works with Sonos" scenario.

As far as the Sonos Connect being OK in the socket box I really can't give you a definitive answer. I'm not an installer so those questions are outside of my wheelhouse. You'll have to trust your installer and question him/her as to what protective extremes the Socket Box will provide. You can also call Sonos to inquire about operating temperature tolerances for the Connect .

Regarding the 15-16 ft waterproof 3.5mm cable IMO it still comes down to the connector on the Cosmos...are they weather rated?

I'm afraid I can't be of any further help. I wish you the best to successfully integrate Sonos with your TV in a manner that is satisfactory to you. Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Just a quick note about No Sonos product is designed for extreme weather conditions (hot/cold) except the Sonance indoor/outdoor architectural speakers.

Sonance is not owned by Sonos. Sonos is merely a reseller of their product, much as they do with Pro-Ject, Sanus and others.

Agreed. Sometimes I forget to dot all the i's and cross the t's. My excuse is old age...what's yours😄
Just a quick note about No Sonos product is designed for extreme weather conditions (hot/cold) except the Sonance indoor/outdoor architectural speakers.

Sonance is not owned by Sonos. Sonos is merely a reseller of their product, much as they do with Pro-Ject, Sanus and others.
Hi AjTrek1,
Thank you so much for your help! Is the Sonos Connect okay outside in a socketbox, turned sideways, as in the original photo? Or are you saying none of them except those sonance speakers are ok...
Also, do you know if there is a long weatherproof 3.5mm input cord that is weather rated for the outdoors that is ~50 ft (or if we can order one from Sonos?). I would much rather have the Sonos connect indoors if possible. Any suggestions for this connection would be appreciated! We could have it inside the kitchen and then it would only be at most a 15 ft cord.
Thanks again! Have a great weekend!
Userlevel 7
Hi guitardood

Thanks again for the much needed additional information. Knowing the model numbers of the speakers has helped tremendously.

No Sonos product is designed for extreme weather conditions (hot/cold) except the Sonance indoor/outdoor architectural speakers. If your installer has no concerns using the Connect (as connected to your TV) I hope you have a substantial installation/parts warranty (from the installer) covering at least 3-5 years.

HDMI runs are limited to 15-16 ft before degradation in audio/visual quality sets in. So a 50ft run is not recommended even if you could have a custom cable made. Also, your Cosmos needs the weatherproof plugs which I assume your set does not have.

Knowing the exact type of speakers employed I believe your installer has make the right decisions. The only advice I can offer with confidence is to set the line-in of the Connect (in the socket box) to auto.

Sorry, it took so long to get to this point. Cheers!
thank you so much for your reply!
Would the Sonos connect for the tv be ok outside in the socketbox? We live in a cold climate and worry about it in the snow.
I would like to use the HDMI-ARC if it’s an option. It’s actually not too far to the basement where all the components are, maybe 50 ft? Where would I find a weatherproof cord? I have an outdoor HDMI cord for the tv that I ordered with the tv.

As far as the Martin Logan speakers I’m not sure how they are powered. we have the ML75AW outdoor pair of speakers on the front and 2 more ML-SAT 60 speakers for surround sound on the back, plus the subwoofer.
I’m not sure but I believe we have the other connect to create separate front and back speakers? Not sure we really need that but that’s what they suggested.

If we can’t get the HDMI to work, would we be able to run a 3.5mm output from the tv to the Sonos connect inside or does it need to be outside? I just worry about it being outside in the elements.
thank you again for all of your help!
Userlevel 7
Hi guitardood

Thanks for the additional information. I wasn't familiar with the Cosmos brand of weather proof TV's. Great piece of gear. I'm envious 😊.

Your issue has to do with distance and weather proofing. Meaning in order to use the HDMI-ARC your set would need the optional Weather proof HDMI plugs. That would also involve a weather proof HDMI cable that is long enough to reach the Sonos Amp indoors. HDMI length along may be an issue.

The Sonos connect in the "socket" box (as you term it) IMO is the logical solution to get TV sound to the outdoor speakers. To avoid having to select line-in each time you want to play TV audio...in the Sonos app set the Connect Line-in to Auto and select the Sonos Amp as the Auto Play speaker (room).

Also, one Sonos Amp should be able to drive all 4 speakers as long as the impedance does not exceed 8 Ohms. The Sub should be powered.

What I don't' follow is the need for the second Connect? Are any of the Martin-Logan speakers powered?

Let us know how things sort out. Cheers!
Thank you! It’s a Cosmos Outdoor TV I believe 60 inch (cosmosoutdoortv.com). On their website they say it’s an HDMI-ARC but when I emailed them they recommended using the 3.5mm output.
Currently our tv is hooked up to a Sonos connect outside in a socketbox via the 3.5 mm output.
we also have another Sonos connect and Sonos amp inside powering the 4 speakers outside. Does this sound right? Seems like a lot of Sonos (3).
thank you for your help!

Userlevel 7
Hi guitardoood

Assuming your TV is capable...just run HDMI-ARC from TV to HDMI-ARC on Sonos Amp. Program the remote and your set. If you can take a picture of the inputs/outputs of your TV and/or post the model number we can provide a more definitive answer.

Cheers!